Gumpaste Flower Wiring

Decorating By valcomer Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm by ShandraB

valcomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valcomer Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 4

how do you attack gumpaste flowers to toothpicks which i heard people do...and get them to stick when people wire gumpaste flowers with all sorts of wire hooks and gum glues and floral tape to get it to stick to it...

3 replies
ashleyb4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyb4 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 4

To keep the flower on the toothpicks, I usually just stick it in the center (usually first part made) of the flower. For example, the teardrop on a rose before you attach petals. If you are going to use the wire, you have a few options depending on your flower. usually just wetting it with a little water will work, and then insert into flower as instructed.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 4

If you've made a flat flower, like a daisy, you can make a small ball, insert the toothpick, and then flatten the ball on top. So it's kind of like a cone. Then use some icing or thinned gum paste to attach the flower to the flat part of the ball. You can do the ball on wires too, it's like the calyx part. I did several large garlands worth of wired gum paste flowers this way for a wedding cake. Did the flowers and bases seperately, and let them dry. Then attached them together so I could wire the stems.

I will say though, if you use wires, make sure they are fabric covered. I tried to use plain wires for one cake and couldn't figure out why my dratted leaves kept sliding off the wire hook! I made a small hook in the wire, got it wet, and inserted it into the flower base for the leaves, but the paste had nothing to stick to. It would have made wiring them together a lot easier too, plain wire is slippery and the leaves kept spinning around!

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 4

I put the centers directly on the toothpicks as well. If you are having trouble getting them to stick, you can dip the toothpick in gum paste glue before inserting it.

I always carefully squeeze the gum paste around the bottom of the toothpick before I set them in foam to dry. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%