Chocolate Ganache??

Decorating By NanaSandy Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 6:55am by Claire138

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 4:49am
post #1 of 9

I know this has probably been asked and answered. But I am going to ask anyway. I am getting ready to do a practice cake, since everybody raves about how good chocolate ganache is. I have done the poured version of it over my buttercream and we loved it. But I want to try the whipped ganache and then use the poured version over the top of it. Just want to ask my CC friends/experts, if that will work out ok?? I apologize if this is a dumb question, but I am a newbie. icon_rolleyes.gif
Also, using the above method, can you then fondant the cake? I am assuming doing it this way, would taste great and almost hide the taste of the fondant? Will the whipped version of the ganache crust or set up hard? Thanks in advance for any help!!

8 replies
NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:44am
post #2 of 9

anybody???

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:01am
post #3 of 9

That's a whole lotta chocolate!

I don't see reason why you couldn't pour ganache over whipped, personally I would just think it would be chocolate overload. Not to mention how much chocolate you'd need to make all that, for a 8" cake you'd need a pound, right?

I don't know about the fondant part.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:19am
post #4 of 9

I use ganache almost exclusively and then cover with MMF, no problems at all and tastes great (chocolate goes with everything IMO!!)

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:33am
post #5 of 9

I don't know if the cake could handle the weight, makes me wanna try it!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:37am
post #6 of 9

I don't know if the cake could handle the weight, makes me wanna try it! That is something you may want to do too. I always practice any new technique before trying it out for real, except today, I just made a cake on the fly cause my first one had an issue, turned out fine, got lucky!

NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:42am
post #7 of 9

sorelle: That is what I was kind of wondering? I am going to do this probably sometime this week or next. I will post and let you know what happens. Not sure about the fondant part though. Since I buy my fondant and don't really want to waste it on a practice cake. icon_smile.gif Ingredients are so expensive now...and trying to keep my budget under control. icon_rolleyes.gif
I am planning on doing this on a yellow cake, so hopefully that would keep the chocolate down. But I love chocolate, so then again, I would be ok with it. I am really making a cake so I can practice my piping skills and I wanted something with a "clean slate", and I figured the poured ganache would give that to me.

NanaSandy Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #8 of 9

Claire: do you just use the poured ganache and then fondant?

Thank you everybody for your replies. I seriously love CC!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 6:55am
post #9 of 9

I whip the ganache, spread it over the cake, let it dry and then cover with MMF.

I love CC too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%