Michele Foster's Fondant, Which Recipe?

Lounge By SugarandSpice3674 Updated 24 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm by SugarandSpice3674

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going to make this fondant for the first time, just wanted to make sure the recipe with 2tbsp of gelatin is the updated recipe right? the other one has 3 tbsp of gelatin and i just want to make sure i get it right the first time lol. Thanks !

9 replies
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:08am
post #2 of 10

I use 3 TB of gelatin

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

ok, so do u use the recipe that calls for 3tbsp gelatin,3tbsp butter and 3tbsp glycerin ? the Updated one calls for 2 tbsp of each...... just dont wanna use the wrong recipe

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 12:32am
post #4 of 10

The updated, corrected recipe, according to Michele, is the one that calls for:

1/2 cup cream
2 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin
1 cup corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. glycerin
2 tsp. clear vanilla
1 dash salt
3 1/2 pounds powdered sugar

I believe that the original, mistaken, recipe called for 3 Tbps gelatin when it meant to say 3 packages gelatin. 3 packages of gelatin comes out to about 2 Tbsp.

I've tried both. The 3 tbsp one fails for me. The 2 tbsp one has been successful many many times.

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #5 of 10

Hmmm I didn't know that! I always use the 3TB recipe and it comes out perfect for me. Guess I should try this one now and see if I like it any better. When you say it failed you, what do you mean exactly?

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #6 of 10

...and yes, I also use 3 T of butter and 3 T of glycerin, but then again I don't measure the powdered sugar, I just keep adding it until the consistency is correct so maybe that is the difference?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 2:58am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeLittleBlackbirds

...and yes, I also use 3 T of butter and 3 T of glycerin, but then again I don't measure the powdered sugar, I just keep adding it until the consistency is correct so maybe that is the difference?

That's probably why it's working for you.

I had already used the correct recipe a few times before I mistakenly found and printed out the 3Tbsp recipe. So I was already used to what the 2 Tbsp recipe felt like. I immediately noticed the difference, that it was tighter and much harder to work with...less stretchy and way less pliable. A little research told me that Michele was aware of the mistake but was unable to remove the incorrect recipe from this site. So there it remains to this day.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:02am
post #8 of 10

When Michele gave me this recipe originally it was 3 packages (2 Tbsp) gelatin, 3 Tbsp butter, and 3 Tbsp glycerine - this is how I always do it and it is great icon_smile.gif

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 10

Wow,somany variations of how to make this recipe! Well i used the updated one, with 2tbsp of gelatin, butter and glycerin, i havent used it yet, but I kneaded out a bit, just to see what it was like, feels great! just like the storebought stuff i can get here, only much better tasting, I'm so happy, it only cost me $5 if that to make the batch, which seems to be just over 5 lbs, at bulk barn 5 lbs is $16, im sooooo happy! who doesnt love something that tastes better and is cheaper LOL

SugarandSpice3674 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm
post #10 of 10

oops i meant 4 lbs of fondant costs $16 here lol, even better deal for me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%