Cake Boxes??

Decorating By sjbeatty8 Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 1:57am by sweets4you

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 28

Im needing to place a cake box order and this is my first time since I became an official business. I have always just bought from local supply store and the prices seem reasonable... Curious where you buy your boxes and what is the average cost???

Thanks!

27 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 28

http://www.brpboxshop.com

The bulk prices (usually 100 packs) are much lower than the prices for smaller quantities.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:45am
post #3 of 28

I was just going to ask this question, good thing it was on the first page.

Is there any place that you can order boxes from where you can design your own box or they have quite a few designs to choose from?

jason_kraft Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

Is there any place that you can order boxes from where you can design your own box or they have quite a few designs to choose from?

How do you want to customize boxes? BRP can make boxes in custom colors, but if you want to do things like have a logo printed directly on the box you will probably need to go with a custom print shop (and that could get pretty expensive).

We just buy mailing labels from Staples, print our logo on a label, and stick it on a plain pink box (along with labels for the product description, ingredients, etc).

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #5 of 28

I found B&G Paper a couple of years ago and have stuck with them. They allow you to purchase boxes either by single count or 100-pk. Prices are great, quality is super, shipping is prompt and they've been so helpful during phone calls when I have questions.

For example, an 8x8x5 white box, no window, is much less at BG. ($ per pc is .36 vs BRP of $1.40 when you break down their 10-pack price of $14.0icon_cool.gif

We use labels for our boxes just like jason_kraft does. Just format a sheet of logo stickers on the computer and print. Easy!

Good luck in your research! thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:37am
post #6 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

I found B&G Paper a couple of years ago and have stuck with them. They allow you to purchase boxes either by single count or 100-pk. Prices are great, quality is super, shipping is prompt and they've been so helpful during phone calls when I have questions.

For example, an 8x8x5 white box, no window, is much less at BG. ($ per pc is .36 vs BRP of $1.40 when you break down their 10-pack price of $14.0icon_cool.gif

We use labels for our boxes just like jason_kraft does. Just format a sheet of logo stickers on the computer and print. Easy!

Good luck in your research! thumbs_up.gif

Do you have a link to this company? Thanks!

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #7 of 28

Oh sure thing! www.bgpaper.com

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:35am
post #8 of 28

I use BRP (bulk), but I just wanted to share, I get my labels thru Vista Print - I order the return address labels, added my logo and the info I wanted on them. They print them free, plus a dollar to add your logo, plus shipping (3 bucks) for 180 labels. They are professionally printed, look great, and are glossy. Much cheaper then buying and printing my own, and if you print your own and get them wet your ink will run. Not so with Vista Print.

Just gives my packaging that much more of a professional look.

Good luck!

Jen

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:49am
post #9 of 28

A return address label doesn't look too small on a cake box?

jason_kraft Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:51am
post #10 of 28
Quote:

I just checked prices, and 100 10x10 boxes at B&G costs $32 + $40 ground shipping to CA, while BRP charges $63 with free shipping. B&G also doesn't carry pink boxes.

jason_kraft Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:52am
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

A 2"x4" label works nicely as a main branding element, return address sizes are useful for labeling flavors.

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 6:03am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

A 2"x4" label works nicely as a main branding element, return address sizes are useful for labeling flavors.

Here's my label (the return address size) on a 9x9 cupcake box. I don't think it's too small, but I guess it depends on how you want your packaging to look.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=175818087301&sk=basic#!/photo.php?fbid=10150104292497302&set=pu.175818087301&theater

Vista Print has all different label options for super cheap, I just went with the "free" cuz I'm cheep like that. I think packaging is one of the largest expenses of my business and it's the one item that people care about for all of 2 seconds then throw in the trash. icon_cry.gif

Jen

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:10am
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

...if you print your own and get them wet your ink will run.

It won't if you use a laser printer... toner is waterproof.

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:32am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

...if you print your own and get them wet your ink will run.

It won't if you use a laser printer... toner is waterproof.

LOL I'm too cheep to use ink from an ink jet and buy the Avery labels - I'm WAY too cheep to spend $500 plus on a color laser just to make my own labels!

Free plus 4 bucks works way better for me.

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:18pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:

Quote:

I just checked prices, and 100 10x10 boxes at B&G costs $32 + $40 ground shipping to CA, while BRP charges $63 with free shipping. B&G also doesn't carry pink boxes.

Free shipping is definitely great in that case. For BG to ship here to NH it would only be $19.38, so my total for 100 10x10's would be $50.94.

That's a really good reason for each person to do their research and find the suppliers that best suit their needs. thumbs_up.gif If we give the OP our suggestions like they asked for, they'll hopefully find what works for them.

Have a great day all!

LindaF144a Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 28

I hope everybody can help me.

Of all the research I have done to open my cake shop, I just realized that I did not search box SIZES. I guess of everything you need to get in place for a store, it is good I over looked something like this and not a larger problem, right?

Anyway, what size boxes do you get for cakes? For example for a 8" cake would it be the 9" box x 5" tall? And then for a 10" cake it would be a 11" box, etc, etc.?

I am looking at both sites and trying to price this out. I have family in the area where BG paper is. I think I could couple a visit to the grand kids and get boxes at the same time, but I want to check out both just in case I get so busy that I can't get down there as much as I would like.
Thanks.

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:00pm
post #17 of 28

Hi LindaF144a,

You're right...your box size corresponds to the size of the board that the cake is on. If an 8" cake is on a 9" board, then 9" box. I have my 8" cakes on 10" boards to leave a little extra room for bottom borders and handling, so I pop them in a 10x10x5 box.

If you buy 10" boxes you can put 9" and 10" boards in there and not have to keep track of as many different box sizes. It's just what works for me. I only keep 8", 10", 12", 14" and 19x24" sheet boxes in stock, plus my wedding cake transport box.

Good luck with your shop! When do you hope to open?

(edited to fix pre-coffee spelling errors...twice!)

LindaF144a Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:04pm
post #18 of 28

Swede-cakes,
Thank you. What is a wedding transport box? The last time I delivered a cake (made for a friend), I held it on my lap all the way to the reception without a box!

The lease is at my lawyer. We meet with them on Monday and then the negotiations begin. So we think any time in the next 3-4 months we will be open, maybe sooner depending on all the departments and people who have to come through and approve the place! I will probably miss the wedding season this year, but I am already getting questions about graduation parties. So I hope soon.

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:14pm
post #19 of 28

Oh, the dreaded "Baby on the Lap"! That's what my husband called it for the first and only time I did the same thing while he drove. My kids used my corrugated carton to make a space shuttle and it was no longer an option to hold a wedding cake! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Many cakers have a box or carton they use to transport wedding or multi-tiered cakes. A few even have a Cake Safe but someone else can chime in on that as I don't own one. I just go to my local Shipping Center and purchase a sturdy corrugated packing box that's 24x24x36h. When I get home, I set it up by double taping the bottom seam, then cut one down each side of one of the panels all the way to the bottom so it falls open towards me. When I use it, I put a layer of rubber shelf liner on the floor of my van, place the box on it, put another pc of rubber inside the box, place the wedding cake in there through the open panel, then use a couple of 8" pcs of packing tape to hold the panel closed again.

It keeps the cake contained, keeps dust and other particles away from the cake and no one has to hold it!

thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 2:20pm
post #20 of 28

I tried twice and the link takes me to my Facebook homepage.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here's my label (the return address size) on a 9x9 cupcake box. I don't think it's too small, but I guess it depends on how you want your packaging to look.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/edit/?id=175818087301&sk=basic#!/photo.php?fbid=10150104292497302&set=pu.175818087301&theater

Vista Print has all different label options for super cheap, I just went with the "free" cuz I'm cheep like that. I think packaging is one of the largest expenses of my business and it's the one item that people care about for all of 2 seconds then throw in the trash. icon_cry.gif

Jen

cupcakefrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakefrost Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #21 of 28

Since I only do 1 or 2 cakes a month, I get creative with boxing them up. icon_smile.gif I use copy paper boxes from my office when they become empty, or I'll go to the local grocery store and ask for their empty stock boxes if I need a bigger box. Once, I used a huge Scottissue toilet paper box to hold 55 cupcake favors, but I wrapped the box in wrapping paper, and voila! beautiful! icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:16pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:

I tried twice and the link takes me to my Facebook homepage.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jen

That's strange, try this...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150104292497302&set=a.180306392301.122505.175818087301&theater

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:40pm
post #23 of 28

Great pic of cuppies, Jen...now I'm hungry and dinner is still an hour away! icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #24 of 28
Quote:

LOL I'm too cheep to use ink from an ink jet and buy the Avery labels - I'm WAY too cheep to spend $500 plus on a color laser just to make my own labels!

You can buy a color laser printer for less than $200 these days, in the long run color lasers are cheaper to operate than inkjets.

sweets4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets4you Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:12pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:

Hi, thanks! I'm looking for online places to buy boxes by the piece (I don't have a business, so it would take me years to go through a hundred boxes icon_biggrin.gif ), and this is the cheapest one so far. How's the quality though? I normally buy boxes from Michael's, but they are too flimsy.

Swede-cakes Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:27pm
post #26 of 28

The quality of BG is excellent. Very sturdy boxes! You can call them and ask any questions and they are super friendly and helpful.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:45pm
post #27 of 28
Quote:

You can buy a color laser printer for less than $200 these days, in the long run color lasers are cheaper to operate than inkjets.

I guess it really depends on the type of laser printer you choose, what type of toner it uses, and how much you really use it. If you buy a cheap one, it might not last very long without expensive repairs, but it may last long enough for minimal usage.

I have a $3500 one that uses organic toner which would cost $1600 to replace all cartridges (these days less than $650 for replacements). It's more cost effective than before--still not cheap to operate, expensive on repair maintenance, but it's great for big jobs. (had to have it for 12x18 tabloid/magazine size capability.)

My older one (less than $2000) would cost $400 to replace all cartridges (these days $60 for replacements). It's cheap to operate, hardly ever needs repair maintenance (more affordable when it is needed), but it does a better job with better quality.

From my experience, you don't need to spend a lot to get a good one, but newer isn't always more affordable to operate!

sweets4you Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets4you Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:57am
post #28 of 28
Quote:

The quality of BG is excellent. Very sturdy boxes! You can call them and ask any questions and they are super friendly and helpful.

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%