Thinking Of Cricut Cake And I Have A Mac

Decorating By Merry1227 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 2:15pm by bonniekaye

Merry1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry1227 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

OK so last year when the Cricut Cake came out I wanted to get it, but I read something about it does not work with MAC...
I have read some posts and it looks like that has been fixed. My questions are:
What the heck is MTC and S??? (I suffer from CRS!)
How much are they?
Is it better to have the programs or the cartridge?

TIA
Merry

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:51am
post #2 of 4

The Cricut is a stand-alone cutter for fondant and gumpaste and doesn't require connecting to a computer. You can do many things with the different cartridges, and there are alot.

MTC and SCAL are two applications that people use to create their own designs on their computers that they then cut out on the cricut.

MTC = Make the Cut http://www.make-the-cut.com/

SCAL - Sure Cuts A Lot http://www.craftedge.com/products/products.html
This is available for Mac OSX

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 4

I also have a mac, and i spent tonight working on getting MTC to work on it....You can IF you have a mac that will run windows (mentioned on MTC's website using external software) I tried using Windows emulation software, but MTC is very buggy and wont work even well enough to get by. So unless you have a copy of windows to run on the mac, Sure cuts a lot is it.

I finally bought my copy of SCAL tonight - I also have been testing both softwares extensively.. and honestly they are the same.... MTC has 2 features built in that SCAL does not... but in the cake uses...you wouldn't need it. So all in all SCAL is perfect. Also they have a sale running... been up for a while, not sure how long it will be going on. but i recommend it!

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 4

I use the SIlhouette Cake machine and it is Mac compatible. The best thing about the Silhouette is the print and cut feature. I also use the cricut in my shop when I need to cut a lot of designs. I use MTC because it is the program I learned. It is very easy to use, but whichever program you choose to use it is well worth the investment in time and money. I don't buy the expensive cartridges but make my own designs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%