Am I Only One Who Hates These Cakes?

Decorating By midniteaddiction Updated 4 Mar 2011 , 4:28am by schustc

Lizbvic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizbvic Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #61 of 74

I agree to some extent with everyone saying that cakes need to be mostly edible... absolutely! I even argued with an event planner I work closely with who told me to make a dummy cake for display and then the edible cake would just be a sheet that would go into the kitchen of the venue til cutting. I said no way! Her response was that she often got that from some well-known cake artists, some of which have been on the FN challenges. I disagree with that. The art of it is the fact that it is made of edible material.
With that said, however, I do think that structure is necessary. Don't we all use dowels for tiers and pipes for topsy-turvy cakes? As for plastic pieces, not everyone can afford a cake with tons of sculpting and modeling on it. Using other materials can help with cost. I know I have suggested these store-bought pieces to customers when their budget just can't allow for all the detail they would like. At the end, the fact that it is store-bought is reflected and does not compare to something edible and hand-made.
I do have a major problem though with the CriCut Cake... talk about cheating! There is nothing that machine makes that can't be made by hand. Not artistic? Then why are you taking on an artistic endeavor like cake decorating? I have not bought nor used that machine and I never will.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:35pm
post #62 of 74

Well doggone it! Why didn't ICES award that last year when I brought my Lambeth cake to the convention, and my cake with lace extensions? It's so funny you say piping is dying, I can't get enough people to have a class in Lambeth so I don't even offer it anymore. We'll see if my oriental stringwork class is a go next week or not. The reason the art is dying is not because no one will teach it (oriental stringwork is offered a TON of places), it's because the students don't want to put the time in and do it.

As for the cake sculptures, our show does not require a sculpture to be made from cake, but it MUST be possible to replicate it from real cake, and the judges know if it can or can't. I have seen them disqualify a cake because it was done in styro and could not be reproduced in real cake.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I agree with 3GCakes. I am a newbie, 1 year. I attended the 2010 ICES Convention in my home town and had the most fun I've (almost) EVER had. I am now known as "the lady who brought REAL cakes" for the display hall (then we all laugh with delight at my naivete). I didn't know about cake dummies when I made my first 4-tier and third-ever 3-tier cake for the convention. It was HARD and took a long time and I was so proud of my REAL cakes and learned so very much by making them.

ICEs rules & regulations/registration clearly state cake or dummies can be used except for sculpted cakes. Registration form with rules & regulations have to be filled out so its assumed rules & regulations would be read by persons wanting to display a cake/s. You made two cakes for convention. I'm confused as to how you'd not know about cake dummies then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

The OK show winning cake was fabulous, but the article about it said it took her 400 hours to make. 400 hours? 10 weeks? And they still call it "cake". Even a fruit cake wouldn't stand being decorated for 400 hours, let alone an American style cake.

For shame. You are in your own way, mocking a work of art by a talented pastry chef. Do you really think a cake like the grand prize winner can be completed in a couple of days? Did you not notice the amount of detail on the cake? The intricate piping? The amount of hand painting etc? All that takes time, its not a 1 or 2 day project, boom you're done cake.
Your comments insult the creator of the cake, a member of CC & also insults CC owners who chose to feature the ossas winning cake on the latest issue of CC magazine.

[quote=Apty]Caking has changed my life in a wonderful, happy, creative way. I'm going to do it for fun, my way. But, each of us will choose to plan and create the steps needed for our cake creations, "my way", and that's ok.

By all means continue on making your cakes "your way" if thats your desire. I only ask that you think twice before criticizing cakes done/made any other way.[/quote]

Goodness....I guess I have now officially been "squashed" by another member of CC.

AuntieE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieE Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:01pm
post #64 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteaddiction

i love cake decorating. but i get so upset when i c people doing cake designs with other things other then cake. like copper or wires. were the cakes are not 100% ediable. this really pisses me off. they look wonderful but it still upsets me. am i the only one who thinks this? i refuse to do a cake that is not 100% ediable.

I really hate when people are illiterate, and don't capitalize "I"
Put "c" instead of "see"
Don't know the difference between "then" and "than"
Don't capitalize the first word in a sentence
Can't spell edible.

Dude, you need to go back to school.

Ninjacaker, you used fragments, not complete sentences. Who needs to go back to school?

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #65 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

Well doggone it! Why didn't ICES award that last year when I brought my Lambeth cake to the convention, and my cake with lace extensions? It's so funny you say piping is dying, I can't get enough people to have a class in Lambeth so I don't even offer it anymore. We'll see if my oriental stringwork class is a go next week or not. The reason the art is dying is not because no one will teach it (oriental stringwork is offered a TON of places), it's because the students don't want to put the time in and do it.

you're 100% right on newbie decorators not wanting to put the time in and do it. The popularity of stencils, fancy molds, cutters of every size & shape, and now a machine that will do the cutting for you, far outweighs any thoughts of learning to sqeeze royal icing through openings so small your hands feel they might fall off.

Piping is time consuming, a lot of practice has to be done to perfect it, plus theres the drying time for a lot of it one has to think of.
Cutting shapes by hand or letting a machine do if for you is faster, its done in no time and ready to be applied to the cake. So, of course the cutters, machine & molds will usually win over hand piping.

But.. Hopefully now that ICEs is making an effort to encourage more hand piping, there'll soon be a turnabout, & you'll have too many students to teach!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:33pm
post #66 of 74

Oh man, the Cricut is a double edged sword. I see some of the stuff it can do and think... imagine how fast you could get a beautiful cake done!? But I do agree that it's taking some of the skill out of it. Which is of course what it was intended to do. With the popularizing of cake decorating, more people who don't have the time to learn the hard stuff want to do it. Of course, if they want to invest hundreds of dollars in a machine to do so, more power to 'em. Keeps 'em from calling me and wasting my time. But, on that same note, they still have to figure out how to construct a cake, ice it, perhaps fondant it. To me, that's the 'hard' stuff. Everything after that, that's the gravy. That's the good stuff!! The part that makes you giggle and feel all warm!! Hehe.

I have such great respect for the old school decorators, and that is not an age reference. Some of them are quite a bit younger than me. And so many stay on the cutting edge with new styles and techniques, but are continually pulling yesterday's skills into here and now. Combining the amazing intricate skills with the up-to-the-minute look that most brides want. I'm telling you, I am astounded by some of the piping I see. The intricate stringwork that is made of royal, dried, and then delicately applied to the cake in 3D... blows my mind. I would NEVER want to travel with one of those babies in my van. I would be in tears every time the wind picked up.

I also want to remind anyone who needs to hear it... there is no right or wrong in cake decorating. There is only how you choose to do it. And if you and whomever you may be making a cake for are happy with it... then you are doing it 'right'. If it's a damn train wreck... well, rest assured someone will send it to Jen over at Cake Wrecks, and you can get your 15 minutes that way. No shame in your game. Sometimes the wrecks are as much fun as the awesome ones! icon_lol.gif One of my favorite cakes that I've ever done... a gal wanted a cake for her husbands birthday, and somehow I managed to get the name wrong. Put the name on it of the guy her hubby accused her of cheating with!! icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif I swear I had no idea... it was some sort of crazy Karmic accident. Her face was priceless. I was able to fix it in a way that only the two of us would know, but it was worth it. I couldn't believe she confided that to me instead of just saying the name was wrong. Holy cow! icon_surprised.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #67 of 74

I would love to take a Lambeth class, FYI for anyone on the east coast willing to teach it.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 10:42pm
post #68 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Oh man, the is a double edged sword. I see some of the stuff it can do and think... imagine how fast you could get a beautiful cake done!? But I do agree that it's taking some of the skill out of it. Which is of course what it was intended to do. With the popularizing of cake decorating, more people who don't have the time to learn the hard stuff want to do it. Of course, if they want to invest hundreds of dollars in a machine to do so, more power to 'em. Keeps 'em from calling me and wasting my time. But, on that same note, they still have to figure out how to construct a cake, ice it, perhaps fondant it. To me, that's the 'hard' stuff. Everything after that, that's the gravy. That's the good stuff!! The part that makes you giggle and feel all warm!! Hehe.

I have such great respect for the old school decorators, and that is not an age reference. Some of them are quite a bit younger than me. And so many stay on the cutting edge with new styles and techniques, but are continually pulling yesterday's skills into here and now. Combining the amazing intricate skills with the up-to-the-minute look that most brides want. I'm telling you, I am astounded by some of the piping I see. The intricate stringwork that is made of royal, dried, and then delicately applied to the cake in 3D... blows my mind. I would NEVER want to travel with one of those babies in my van. I would be in tears every time the wind picked up.

I also want to remind anyone who needs to hear it... there is no right or wrong in cake decorating. There is only how you choose to do it. And if you and whomever you may be making a cake for are happy with it... then you are doing it 'right'. If it's a damn train wreck... well, rest assured someone will send it to Jen over at Cake Wrecks, and you can get your 15 minutes that way. No shame in your game. Sometimes the wrecks are as much fun as the awesome ones! icon_lol.gif One of my favorite cakes that I've ever done... a gal wanted a cake for her husbands birthday, and somehow I managed to get the name wrong. Put the name on it of the guy her hubby accused her of cheating with!! icon_eek.giftapedshut.gif I swear I had no idea... it was some sort of crazy Karmic accident. Her face was priceless. I was able to fix it in a way that only the two of us would know, but it was worth it. I couldn't believe she confided that to me instead of just saying the name was wrong. Holy cow! icon_surprised.gif

Melvira, You make me smile icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:07pm
post #69 of 74

Nah, that's just gas. I make you chuckle uncomfortably. Oh wait, maybe THATS the gas... icon_lol.gif

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:10pm
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Nah, that's just gas. I make you chuckle uncomfortably. Oh wait, maybe THATS the gas... icon_lol.gif

Oh! Maybe your'e right! Excuse me!!!!icon_redface.gif lol

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:27pm
post #71 of 74

Ya'll are funny! Melvira is right, there is no right or wrong to cake decorating, it's what makes you happy!!! If you are good at "old fashion" piping and enjoy doing it, great that's the right way for you! If you are good at using the Cricut then that's the right way for you! Just be happy and do what you and the person getting the cake likes!!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

artgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artgal Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #72 of 74

I'm an artist first, cake decorator second. It doesn't bother me that people put plastic on cakes or use other materials. It's all art that is in the eyes of the maker. As long as the cake, where ever it may be, tastes good, that's all that matters. I will never forget the episode of the Cake boss where he made a toilet, and it flushed!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #73 of 74

[quote="warchild"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

I personally would LOVE to take a hands-on course on decorative piping because my skills suck...and I can watch tutorials all day but unless I've got someone over my shoulder pointing out what I'm doing wrong, I'm not going to get much better. I adore elegant string work and filigree. I have a talent to draw but put a piping bag in my hand and I turn into Jackson Pollack. Not that I haven't improved and I did take a Wilton buttercream class...but to learn from a master would be awesome! No one offers such classes here in Tulsa--and I can't really afford to travel across the country.

And by the way to address the OP's first post, I agree that 'cake' is being used loosely by many in the industry. And it's because that so many are turning the art of baking and decorating into an entertainment franchise! Please! Fake drama on cake shows...will they be able to make a 40 foot castle cake (an order they supposedly received the day before) fit through the door and arrive in time? Customers want what customers want and they only want the really wild stuff because they saw it on TV...not that they want to pay for it mind you. Hey, as long as they know they're paying for structure and not cake, what the hell? Give 'em the RKT, wood and PVC pipes!

schustc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schustc Posted 4 Mar 2011 , 4:28am
post #74 of 74

I initially felt exactly the same way. But as I looked into building this cake, I had to take 2 things into consideration 1. the 3 D standing dinosaur would be nearly impossible to make without an armature to support it, and 2., with only 15 people attending the party, we didn't need enough cake to feel 60 people. *sigh*. ...

Additionally, I wanted to make the RKT head so it could be edible, but I did not think that adding the fondant to the head and OPEN jaws - the soft edible RKTs would likely buckle under the weight of the fondant. So. I am going with hardened RKT. I have no clue if this cake will even survive. it's for my daughter's 3rd Birthday, for family only. My first attempt at ANYTHING like this..

As time goes on, and i gain more experience, and learn to not make my cake at 4 x scale ( which took my 6 " plastic dinasaur model, to 2 FEET of cake and strcture) - and yes - no way could 15 people eat 2 feet of cake... LOL

the entire belly of the thing will be cake. the head, tail and legs won't.

Oh well.. I can't imagine making an open mouthed dinasaur - 3D - that would be 100% edible... I'd love to see how!

icon_smile.gif but as i said - up until i started this project I was in complete agreement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%