Late Customers

Business By ktm00n Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm by ktm00n

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hey all,

Like many of you, I run a cake business out of my home. Lately, I've had a real problem with customers not showing up at their times, or sometimes calling last minute and asking to come the next day. Is there anything I can do to help get my customers to show up in a timely fashion? I understand that this is a business, and I want to be there for customers, but as of right now I only do custom orders; I don't keep any kind of stock, so the only customers that come are people who have specifically ordered things. If I have no orders, I tend to plan things for myself.

Today, I had a customer that was supposed to pick something up yesterday. She called me last minute and said she was running late, and could she get it tomorrow (today)? I said that was fine, and asked when she would pick the cake up. She never got back to me, so when I called today (because I have things of my own to do), she sounded really annoyed that I had called her.

What can I do?

Thanks!

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 7

I state on my website specific times for pickup only..If they do not come in those timelines...I am unavailbale ..period.You need to do the same thing...Being available at all times allows people to come and go as they please without any respect for your time.Give certain pick times only and after that state you are not available even if you are home.

You teach people how to treat you so stop it right now thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 7

Do whatever you have planned and she can now wait on you. Always get payment up front and if they don't show you haven't lost anything.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Do whatever you have planned and she can now wait on you. Always get payment up front and if they don't show you haven't lost anything.

I agree. Get payment in advance and have a set schedule for pick up times.

Thankfully, I have not had this problem, but I would think that, if they have paid for their cake and if there is a firm protocol for your pick up times, then they will be more likely to show up on time.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 7

conversation at the end of taking an order:
"thanks for the order. Now for pickup I have a 2:30pm slot and a 3pm slot. Which would you like?"
This says you are busy and deserve to be respected.

What probably happens in your cases is:
"thanks for the order. When would you like to pick it up?"
This implies that they both can choose the time, AND switch the time to best reflect their schedule, because you didn't care when they came. Set the tone of the transaction before it even begins.

These people aren't understanding the disrespect they are giving you, they're just being spacey customers who are being trained poorly by their fabulous cake lady.
Kiddiecakes has it right: you teach your customers how to teach you.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm00n

I said that was fine, and asked when she would pick the cake up.

Instead of saying "that is fine" you need to do one of the following
1) I'm sorry i'm unavailable tomorrow. I will be here for another 15-20 minutes (or whatever time frame) today.
2) Tomorrow i'm available for you to pick it up between ____ and ____. (some people give a specific time but i like to give a half hour range, do what works best for you)

And as others have said make sure you receive payment up front. For small orders i require 50% for a deposit before i even make their cake. Then the remaining 50% at pick-up. This way if they're a no show i at least have my supplies paid for, then i can do what i want with the cake. But i've only had 2 people pay half and half, most pay 100% at the beginning and it's not an issue.

ktm00n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktm00n Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%