Color Rubbing Off On Cookie Bags

Baking By cake-angel Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 6:01am by cake-angel

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 10

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before. I have been reading and tried a few searches but haven't found any information on this. I am somewhat new to cookies overall but I have come across a situation where after the cookies are packaged some of the color from the decorating has been rubbing off onto the bags. I used the single bags from Michael's. The cookies were completely dry when I packaged them. It isn't like the cookies are sticking to the bag it is more like the surface color rubs off and adheres to the bag leaving a dull finish on the cookie when you remove them from the bag. The ones I pearl dusted seemed like the pearl dust all rubbed off. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and looking for tips on preventing it if possible. Thanks!

9 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 10

What coloring are you using? I see how the pearl dust would brush off onto the bag, but not the coloring from the icing. I'm assuming you are mixing color into your icing and then decorating with icing and not decorating with white icing and then brushing the color on the cookie.

cake-angel Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 10

Hi cheatize,

You are correct. I am mixing the color into the icing first and then decorating. I used royal icing (meringue powder based) and out lining and then flooding the cookie. I am currently using Wilton colors as I have to use them when teaching. The pearl dust was added afterwards so I can see how that could happen but would be happy to not have it happen too (it was actually airbrush pearl I sprayed on). Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:00am
post #4 of 10

Any ideas or has anyone else had this happen? Is it normal and I just have to accept it? or is there a way to prevent this from happening? I am still hoping for some more input if anyone has any.

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #5 of 10

I use the same bags but haven't had any issues with them. How long do you let your icing dry before you bag them? If you were to run a tissue over the dry icing does the colour come off?

cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:10am
post #6 of 10

I had let them dry for 24 hours. They were very firm and didn't leave any marks when I touched them but I will have to try the tissue rub next time to see. I was wondering if the moisture from the cookies themselves may have softened the RI a bit to cause it once they were packaged?

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:12am
post #7 of 10

Hmm, never thought of that! Do you use the NFSC recipe or something else? I know the NFSC doesn't have any liquid in it, except for the eggs and flavour.

cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #8 of 10

My recipe is not the NFSC but is similar in that it has no added liquid apart from the eggs and flavorings and the moisture that the butter adds. I do know that while my cookies are firm they have a nice soft bite to them and thought that maybe there was some moisture there contributing to the packaging issue. These were cookie pops that were rolled to 3/8 of an inch thick before baking.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 5:05am
post #9 of 10

I just cannot imagine what's causing this unless the bag is rubbing just hard enough on the cookie to sand off tiny dust bits of icing. The cookies are dry, the icing is the usual; what on earth can this be?

cake-angel Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:01am
post #10 of 10

Hmmm. Maybe. I may have to try a slightly larger bag next time and see if it makes a difference. I didn't think my bags were too small as the cookies went in easily but maybe I was wrong. Thank you for all of the suggestions. If anyone comes up with any other ideas I am always open. For now - more experimentation for me. Good thing this is a hobby so I have time to play around with the problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%