Omg!! She Put My Cakes In Her Trunk!!!

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm by beenie51

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 25

Hi Cakers!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1948972

This weekend I made a cake for a co-workers grandson turning 1. It was an 8 round turtle cake and he had his own smash cake. I posted the link above if interested.

She came to pick the cakes up and I was going to place the cakes in her car when she told me, oh no that is ok place them in the TRUNK! WTH?? I said are you sure? She said yea, they would be fine.

I live here in Atlanta, and it was 75 degrees Saturday. I told her that I couldnt be responsible for anything that happens to the cakes. She told me not to worry and they would be fine.

Was I tripping out over nothing? Do a lot of you cakers place cakes in the trunk of your cars? I always place them in the back of my call and level the seat out with towels.

I will see her today and ask her how they made out. I did not get a phone car from her this weekend, so I am assuming they were ok?

Geesh!!

Thanks,
Michael

24 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 25

Oh..that's nothing...I have had clients show up with small compact cars and try and fit a large cake in the trunk or customers whose back hatch in the suv is so full of Golf clubs or baby strollers,garbage etc all bouncing around and they foolishly put the cake back there where any items could crushed in a second but I say okay....Not my problem if they get home and their cake is smashed.

lovescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovescakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 25

yes, people pick up the cakes and put them in the trunk all the time with a bunch of stuff around, I always tell them I'm not responsible...nothing bad has ever happened.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 25

I have it written on my invoice that I am not responisble for any travel damage should they pick up the cake.
It is also verbilized as well at time of pick up.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 25

People will do anything. They just don't think first. Sometimes they DO think, I suppose, and then do stupid stuff anyway. I always tell my clients that once the cake leaves my hands, it is no longer my problem. They are on their own and responsible for whatever happens between pickup and serving.

One crazy thing I read here on CC...I can't remember who posted it, but the story was that a cake was picked up by a husband who paid the money, and then picked up the cake box, turned it on its side, tucked it under his arm like a football and walked out the door. :O

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 25

In my first cake decorating class we were told that the trunk would be the better place to put cakes for traveling.

1. They are not in the sun.
2. It is fairly level.
3. Just start the car with airconditioning running for a while.

I'm sure most of you have a lot more education than I and a lot more expericne; but I travel with mine in my trunk.

I use a thin foam pad or the rubber shelving under the cake to keep it from sliding around.

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 25

That turtle cake is so cute! I am thinking of printing up a damage waiver stating that the customer picked up the cake in satisfactory condition.

cat2512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat2512 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 25

Yes, I travel with my cakes in the trunk of my car as well. It is the most level place, they are not in the sun and it is the most cool place in my car. I've never had any problems so far. I do make sure they are placed well so they do not slide or move in the least bit.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea42

In my first cake decorating class we were told that the trunk would be the better place to put cakes for traveling.

2. It is fairly level.

I'm sure most of you have a lot more education than I and a lot more expericne; but I travel with mine in my trunk.

I use a thin foam pad or the rubber shelving under the cake to keep it from sliding around.

well i think that only applies for family card not salon cars..
no AC in a salon car trunk and where i live.. just having the car in the sun for 2 minutes will melt the cake in the trunk!!! i guess people do stupid things!! i dont do any delivery and i make sure i tell people its not my problem if anything happens, and keep telling them to be careful and drive slowly if it was more than one tier.. but there is nothing u can do when they choose to ignore wat u say

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 25

I just want to comment on your cake-

WOW! so clean and neat!

You put my smash cakes to shame. My clients get a free smash cake, but it is a 4"x2" round or 4"x4"x2" square. Tiny!!!!! But it's free, so I'm not giving them a bunch of cake for free.

Great job!

P.S. I don't care what they do with the cake once they sign off on the invoice. It specifically states how to take care of a cake, but once they leave my premises, they are completely and totally 100% liable for ANYthing and EVERYthing that will, might, could happen.

I protect myself all the way LOL

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 25

A trunk on a sunny day=AN unventilated OVEN !
A/C doesn't go into a trunk.
Trunks are over the rear axle where every bump is exaggerated.

I deliver all of my cakes, so none travel in a trunk.

Were someone to pick up one of my cakes and put it in a trunk, I'd definitely tell them that they are putting it at great risk and that I can't help them if ANYTHING happens to the cake.

My feeling is that a lap is bad, a seat is bad, a trunk is worse. A flat floor is best.

JMHO
Rae

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 25

I prefer they put my cake on the flat floor of a customer's trunk vs. a slanted seat or a lap. I provide non-slip mat for my customers and I also have all of my cakes covered.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 25

Before I got my SUV, I always used my trunk. Many cars have back seats that either can fold down or a center arm rest that folds down and has access to the trunk. I would crank up the AC and make sure the entire car--including the trunk was cool. I used my grippy rubber pads to place the cake on and no other items in the trunk. It's the flattest surface in a car and if you do it right, there is no problem. My cakes are always delivered cold too...in plenty of time for them to warm to room temp--so if the trunk was a little warmer than the rest of the car, it was no problem.

fortheloveofsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fortheloveofsweets Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

One crazy thing I read here on CC...I can't remember who posted it, but the story was that a cake was picked up by a husband who paid the money, and then picked up the cake box, turned it on its side, tucked it under his arm like a football and walked out the door. :O

My mouth literally dropped open when I read this. OMG!!!

Tea42 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusi

Quote:

2. It is fairly level.

well i think that only applies for family card not salon cars..
no AC in a salon car trunk and where i live.. just having the car in the sun for 2 minutes will melt the cake in the trunk!!! i guess people do stupid things!! i dont do any delivery and i make sure i tell people its not my problem if anything happens, and keep telling them to be careful and drive slowly if it was more than one tier.. but there is nothing u can do when they choose to ignore wat u say

Well excuse me for butting in where I was not wanted! tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

Mikel79 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you for all the kind words about my cake!

I talked to her today and she said the cake was just fine!!! No issues.

Thank God!!

Michael

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:29am
post #17 of 25

I don't deliver, but when I do the cake has to be in the trunk or boot as we call it in UK. I always insist on an empty boot and then place the cake on an anti slip mat, no probs at all.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:21am
post #18 of 25

I can't see the difference between putting it in a trunk or sitting it in the back of a veh with the sun shining in on it.

It may also depend on the type of icing you use. My icing holds up in extreme heat and I wouldn't be nervous about one of my cakes going in a trunk at all.

Transported my son's wedding cake this way. (Didn't have my biz van anymore.) No problems. thumbs_up.gif

Mikel79 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 11:01am
post #19 of 25

What really freaks me out about the trunk is that I cannot see the cake while driving. While in the front of the car, I can keep an eye on it. Not seeing the cake while transporting is uneasy for me.

However, someone mentioned here that you can lay your back seat down to expose the trunk to let some AC get back there. I guess lining the trunk with liner and/or towels would help to.

Don't know about the summer though. I use Sharon Zambito recipe for BC icing. I know it is good in heat, but don't know how much I should push it! =)

Thanks folks!!

Michael

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 12:06pm
post #20 of 25

I made a giant cupcake cake for my cousins 16th Birthday in August...I was meeting her mom at church so I traveled from Manhattan to Brookyn via train...not a problem even in the heat. It was a surprise so I wrapped it in black paper so my cousin couldn't see. So I get an email the day after her birthday and her mother told me that the cake was great but it had melted some and slid to the side. I was freaking out b/c I know the structure was fine and if I can carry it for 5 blocks and it can last on the NY subway in August there shouldn't have been a problem...then it hit me...I asked her...did you put it in the trunk? She told me Yes...it was like 90 something degrees that day and she drove from brooklyn to long island!!!! you don't put cake in the trunk it's an inferno in there...LOL. We laugh at it now and I had taken pictures of the cake so I gave that to them but it was an expierence!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:39pm
post #21 of 25

My initial response after reading the op was eww gross. Then, I realized that I used to put my groceries in my trunk all the time (have SUV now). I think that as long as the trunk is air conditioned (summer months) then it should be fine. I do think that a floorboard might be a little better, as I think it might not shift as much.

Tea42 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 1:45pm
post #22 of 25

Has anyone ever noticed how hot the floorboard gets?

Mikel79 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 9:44pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:

Has anyone ever noticed how hot the floorboard gets?

I have not really noticed. I place my cakes in the front. I can adjust my air so that it is hitting the floor boards.

Thanks!

Michael

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #24 of 25

I just had to tell you guys something funny that reminded me of this thread- I often bake things for my husband to bring to work- cinnamon buns, swirled cupcakes, hi-hats etc. Recently I asked him if he puts it on the front passenger seat and he's like " Nah, I just throw them in the trunk!!" MY OWN HUSBAND, FOLKS!!!

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:04pm
post #25 of 25

I have placed cakes in the trunk of my taurus before. Mind you thats all that was in my trunk and I was able to place the back seats down so the air conditioning could

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%