Cupcake Topiary Tree--How Do They Not Fall Off The Bottom?

Baking By xTiffanyx Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm by xTiffanyx

xTiffanyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xTiffanyx Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:06am
post #1 of 5

I've made a few cupcake bouquets now (not using the cups, because I'm still confused on how to do it, plus I've been using popsicles and they work just fine) and now I'd like to try to make a topiary tree---even two or 3 tiered if possible. I've found some on google images that were beautiful and one tutorial, but nothing that explains how the ones that are directly facing the bottom underneath don't fall off! How is this possible?? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I think it would be so beautiful for a communion party or anything like that. Also, how would you get the dowel rod or whatever you are supposed to use to be sturdy and secured in the pot??

Thanks,
Tiffany

4 replies
SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 5

I have never tried one before with them underneath but maybe they are "glued" on with buttercream or royal icing?? I personally love using the cups now but I have only figured out how to do it with 7 regular cupcakes and haven't figured out the mini cupcakes yet.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 5

I've never made one, but just speculating I would guess the pot would have florist foam, cut to shape and hot glued into the bottom,a dowel running through, and maybe another dallop of hot glue right where the dowel comes out of the foam- just to be extra sure. As far as sticking the upside down cupcakes I'd use melted chocolate to secure the naked cupcake in and then decorate once it's secured. Maybe even a tooth pick half in the foam ball and half poking up through the cupcake cup would add some more "sticking power" with the melted chocolate...I think using RI would be a mistake as I'm imagining that the cupcake would have to be held in place until the royal icing set up and RI may not set up proper if it's in direct contact with a buttery or oily cupcake base.
Good luck with this, sounds so pretty!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 5
xTiffanyx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xTiffanyx Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

thanks everyone for the tips! I'm hoping that I can try this out. Thank you for that wedding website with the tutorial. I have actually read that one, but they never specified how the cupcakes stay on when they are directly upside down. I'm hoping that the chocolate method will work! If anyone ever tries this please let me know how you made out!! =)

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%