I Feel Defeated :(

Decorating By cakedup_cakes Updated 28 Mar 2011 , 4:00am by sugardugar

cakedup_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedup_cakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:36am
post #1 of 17

So forget that i stayed up for hours with lack of sleep and the horrible mess my 2 year made in her room while I was trying to finish up this cake. (so horrible i don't even want to say what she did!!!) That doesn't matter. All that matters is a customer was expecting a great cake for their baby shower and they got the leaning Tower of Pisa!! The customer wanted it designed like another cake that is on here with minor alterations.The cake flavor was like a strawberry shortcake. IT had pastry cream, strawberries and a light buttercream on it. I already was upset with the final results. It wasn't 100%. So anyway the cake is picked up. Several hours later I get a call saying that the cake is falling apart.. I wanna cry!! She sends me a pic...the bottom tier is leaning,,,the middle tier is cracking..does anyone else have a problem with satin ice fondant cracking??? it always cracks when i use it, but the Wilton doesn't. I do use a lot of shortening too. but anyway here are the pics:

Before: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=45f5554f3e&view=att&th=12e3f7fa60415747&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_gkcy6rls0&zw

After: https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=45f5554f3e&view=att&th=12e3f8f61d898d09&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

What I wanna know is what happened to the border border...i have a lil feeling that the customer had a little something to do with this

16 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:19am
post #2 of 17

Sorry about your cake. That is an awful feeling. I just get a blank page from your links...

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:41am
post #3 of 17

Same here on the pictures. It wants me to sign into gmail or something. icon_sad.gif

Whatever the cake looks like, that sucks that it's leaning and stuff now! I totally understand what kids can do while your decorating, so my complete sympathies on that point as well. I've never used Satin Ice, since after trying Wilton I just decided to be safe and stick with MMF... can't help with that. Are you rolling it thin or thick?

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:15am
post #4 of 17

I got a Google page when I clicked on your picture links, too.

As for your question re: Satin Ice, I used it for the last time on a cake this week. I had a terrible problem with it tearing, and I will not be using it again.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:48am
post #5 of 17

I have a Google account and it would not let me look at he pics anyway.

I love Satin Ice.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 17

Is Satin Ice always cracks when you use it, then why use it? And why use it on a cake for a customer.

Your photos don't show up.

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 17

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. I have 5 kids ages from 9 down to 2, so i know how hard it is to decorate and having to stay up with not sleep to do it. I can't see your pictures either. Have you tried the recipes for Marshmallow Fondant on this website? They are really easy and inexpensive to make, and taste great. I never have any problems with cracking.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 17

I can't see your pics and I have never used satin ice to cover a cake, but maybe try fondarific instead? I believe the Duff fondant from Michael's is the same stuff. It's really stretchy and doesn't dry hard. I wouldn't suggest it for flowers or anything else that needs to hold shape, but I think it would be really good for covering a cake (plus it tastes ok for fondant).

ThreeLittleBlackbirds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeLittleBlackbirds Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 17

Satin Ice is a great product but it WILL crack if its left in direct sunlight for a long period of time or if you have air bubbles in or under the fondant. Make sure to smooth out or pop all air bubbles before the fondant dries. Don't feel bad, I had this happen to one of my cakes at an ICES show. I knew I had a small air bubble in the fondant and I knew better but you couldn't see it so I left it, and sure enough, the cake cracked right where the air bubble was. Thank goodness the cake was judged before it cracked though. Live and learn!!

texastj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 17

My heart aches for you icon_sad.gif Remember what doesn't break you, makes you stronger. We all learn from our mistakes.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 17

Can you redo your picture links so we can see them????

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 17

i'm so sorry you had a bad cake day icon_sad.gif i don't use Satin Ice on it's own...I always do 50/50 with Wilton because it is a very soft fondant that needs to be worked with quickly. if rolled too thin it can crack and tear also icon_sad.gif

I hope to see pics soon. you can use tinypic.com

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:18pm
post #13 of 17

I hate Satin Ice... it always cracks on me too. Question, was the cake moved after you delivered it? Did you set it up and then did they move it? What I am getting at is if it was ok when you delivered it and if they moved it again it could possibly be their fault. It also sounds like it could have been to soft of a cake, with real fruit and pastry cream. I don't really know, just throwing some ideas out there. I know how hard it is to make a cake with kids, I have a 5 month old, 3 year old and 5 year old so yeah it can be tough.

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:24pm
post #14 of 17

I don't like using Satin Ice. It cracks and tears too easily. I always end up frustrated when I have used it. I took a class by Collette Peters and she recommended Carma fondant. It is a lot more money but well worth it. It is much easier to work with. It stretches beautifully and tastes (I think) better than Satin Ice. I only use Wilton when I am working on a dummy cake.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 17

I'm so sorry for you! I have 3 young kids (all 5 & under). I feel like a terrible mom for letting them watch so much TV while I'm finishing an order! It's a terrible feeling knowing something you worked so hard on collapsed! Don't give up!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 3:27pm
post #16 of 17

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you as well. I love Satin Ice and have never had any problems with it. The only time it ever tore on me was when I rolled it way too thin, but fortunately I was able to just reroll it then use it.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 28 Mar 2011 , 4:00am
post #17 of 17

You linked us photos directly from your Gmail so the are tied to your account and no one can access them. Try again!

Sorry to hear though icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%