Piping Basics

Decorating By KarisCakes Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 7:21am by Unlimited

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:19am
post #1 of 4

I have searched and can't find anything on this topic that's nonspecific. I would really like to practice piping, but I don't even know where to start. What are the basics? Do I have to using piping gel (I cant get it here), or can I pipe butter cream, or watered down butter cream?
Any advice for a beginning piper?

3 replies
Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

Yes, you can pipe with buttercream or thinned down buttercream, but you really need to decide specifically what it is you're trying to pipe before determining what consistency icing to use.

Nonspecific piping can be anything "piped" from a pastry bagfigures, flowers, borders, writing, leaves, scrolls, stringwork, even swirls on top of a cupcake.

Practice line type piping with thin buttercream and use stiffer icing for piping that needs to stand up and hold its shape like for borders, flowers, and figure piping.

You can find examples on Wilton's website if you want to search piping techniques.

KarisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarisCakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #3 of 4

Those videos are amazing! In the writing with icing video, what are you using? Just thin butter cream?

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:21am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarisCakes

In the writing with icing video, what are you using? Just thin butter cream?

I wish! Yes, normally I write with thinned buttercream, but in this video I used whatever I had available at the time which was a combination of white BC, cream cheese frosting, and blue RI all cold straight from the refrigerator.

Here's my original post when I made the video "writing (visual tutorial)":
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-638264-writing.html

It answers more questions that were received about writing. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%