Storing Icing Tubes While Working?

Baking By OneCreativeCookie Updated 26 Feb 2011 , 6:34am by gingerbreadtogo

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 12

How do you all store your icing tubes while you are working. I can't store them tip-down b/c the icing will run out the bottom, so I tip them upright and stick them in a small glass. I'm wondering if there is a better way.

11 replies
AlwaysAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlwaysAmy Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 12

I used to leave my runny icings tip down on a wet paper towel at the bottom of a glass. It made a major mess, but it was the best I could do at the time. Now I'm transitioning to bottles for flood icing so there's nothing to worry about with those in this respect. For thicker icings, I'll either just leave them on the table with the tips covered by a wet paper towel or I'll use the Wilton Decorating Bag Holder if I think of getting it out.

I'm still feeling my way around and figuring out better ways of doing things, so someone out there will probably have some better ideas.

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 12

I just use a small plate and when I lay down the icing on the counter I rest the tip on the edge of plate so it is pointing up a little.

OneCreativeCookie Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysAmy

I used to leave my runny icings tip down on a wet paper towel at the bottom of a glass. It made a major mess, but it was the best I could do at the time. Now I'm transitioning to bottles for flood icing so there's nothing to worry about with those in this respect. For thicker icings, I'll either just leave them on the table with the tips covered by a wet paper towel or I'll use the Wilton Decorating Bag Holder if I think of getting it out.

I'm still feeling my way around and figuring out better ways of doing things, so someone out there will probably have some better ideas.

Do you use a single consistency of icing for pipe and flood? I have a few squeeze bottles, but found them frustrating to use with the flood I use (which, I guess isn't really flood) since I use the same for outline and flood to avoid the visable outline... I'm wondering if I should give the bottles a go again though icon_smile.gif

I feel the same way about "feeling my way around"...I've come to a place where I am generally happy with my process and results, but often wonder "isn't there a better way?!?!?"

Thanks for your input!

Glory0523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Glory0523 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 12

Since I started making icing bullets, this has ceased to be an issue (bullet = icing wrapped in saran wrap, twisted at the ends). I clip the end off the bullet and insert it into my piping bag with tip already attached. Saves clean up, faster process, and I don't worry about where to keep my icing....

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 2:20am
post #6 of 12

What was frustrating about the bottles?

AlwaysAmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlwaysAmy Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:31am
post #7 of 12

I'm still using two different consistencies for outline and flood. I haven't gotten a handle on the whole one consistency thing yet...I guess it doesn't help that I don't get to play around with cookies all that often. Maybe over the summer...

OneCreativeCookie Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

What was frustrating about the bottles?

I found them challenging to load and felt like I couldn't use every last bit of the icing in the bottles (I squeeze my bags until they are absolutely empty icon_biggrin.gif )...

Plus, since I use one consistency of icing for all of my work (except lettering), I would like to be able to change tips - I know you can buy bottles w/ couplers, but I don't presently have that kind of bottle.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory0523

Since I started making icing bullets, this has ceased to be an issue (bullet = icing wrapped in saran wrap, twisted at the ends). I clip the end off the bullet and insert it into my piping bag with tip already attached. Saves clean up, faster process, and I don't worry about where to keep my icing....

How does that work with royal or glaze? I know it works for BC.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 12

I used a disposable water bottle to load my bottles. I cut it half and use the top part as a funnel. I use the bottom part to rest my bottles in upside down when I'm not using them so I don't have to wait for the icing to flow down to the tip. Doing it this way I can get all but a tip full of icing out of the bottle.

Yeah, the bottles that let you change the tip are the way to go for this, if you can. I have other squeeze bottles and I like them less because of that.

Lisabeth1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisabeth1005 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 6:37am
post #11 of 12

I saw a video of someone using a paint brush for flooding. Has anyone tried that? I'm still trying to get the consistency right so I can decorate the cookies....haven't been able to get that right yet. Help!

gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 6:34am
post #12 of 12

Lisabeth, Have you tried to thin the icing so when you lift with spoon (or whatever) and let it stream back into icing- it should remix in 10 seconds? I outline and flood with same consistancy. I pipe icing for flood and I do use a paintbrush to spread the icing . FYI-I only use Royal Icing..

Practice, practice,practice...Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%