Recipe Suggestions For A 14X14X4 In Cake

Baking By 20_Sadie_11 Updated 19 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm by leah_s

20_Sadie_11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
20_Sadie_11 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 2

Hello,

I'm making a wedding shower cake....first big cake i've ever attempted...It is going to be a 14x14x4 in square with a smaller square on the top corner. I have a wonderful pastry and baking cook book, and a lot of the wedding cake recipes they use is a chiffon sponge cake. I would like to do this cake because i think it would taste great with what I am planning. However, the recipe for this cake makes 8 round cakes. What i'm wondering is if that would be enough or too much batter for my cake. Also, everything is in weights.....3lbs of egg yolks and 3lbs of egg whites.....is that a lot??? this morning i weighed an egg white and it was one ounce.......am i really going to need 48 egg whites??? that seems a bit much don't you think? I don't know. I'm a bit confused as to where I should start with the cake. I really appreciate all responses that will help with this project i have undertaken! Thank you!

P.S.....The wedding shower is February 26, 2011.....

1 reply
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 2

I bake in those quantities all the time. And professional recipes are by weight. When I buy eggs, I buy anywhere from 6 to 12 dozen to maybe a case (15 doz).

8, 8" rounds should equal roughly 24 cups of batter. My white cake recipe makes 40 cups of batter. You'll need a large mixer bowl.

Welcome to the big leagues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%