What To Charge For Cupcake Display

Baking By Chefmomrd Updated 23 Feb 2011 , 5:11am by FromScratchSF

Chefmomrd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefmomrd Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all -
I just got a request for a quote for 12 dozen cupcakes for next Saturday. I normally do drop off but this time they want delivery and display. Option a - I could buy the cardboard cupcake stands and decorate them- I did that once before and the client paid for and kept the stands, but I wayyy undercharged for decorating. Any estimate on what it should cost to decorate the cardboard stands? Option b is to buy a nice acrylic stand that I wont have to spend much extra decorating and can use over and over. But what would I charge the client for use of the acrylic stand? Thanks for any advice.

8 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:45pm
post #2 of 9

I like option B _ I am not much into cardboard anything but it is a preferrance, But I would also charge a security deposit for the cost of the stand (so you can replace) and than charge for the usage, lend it for 2 days and than a daily usuage cost after that, so that they will get it back to you in a timely manor. Letting them know if it is not returned in x amount of days than they loose their deposit so at that point you can replace your stand. HTH

Chefmomrd Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazboutcakes

I like option B _ I am not much into cardboard anything but it is a preferrance, But I would also charge a security deposit for the cost of the stand (so you can replace) and than charge for the usage, lend it for 2 days and than a daily usuage cost after that, so that they will get it back to you in a timely manor. Letting them know if it is not returned in x amount of days than they loose their deposit so at that point you can replace your stand. HTH

Great answer, thank you! I'm checking around and I see the stands are being rented out for $25 to $50 in my area.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 9

I vote Option B also.
If it costs you $50 bucks, rent it out for that as the "Refundable Deposit".

Mine to rent is $50, less $10 daily rental.
If I set up on Saturday for their sat event, they must have it back to me on Sunday by a specified time. I would then give them $40 bucks back.
If they return it on Monday...$30, etc.
Just as the prev poster said, this way you have your cost covered in case they hang onto it and you need to buy another.

BONUS: If it cost you $50 then after 5 rental days, its paid for itself and the rest is profit.

Chefmomrd Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 9

Ok, so what I'm thinking is charge $50 rental fee, which is what seems to be the going rate in the area. Then $100 deposit. Rent out for 2 days, then $25 a day if not returned on time. The stand will cost me about $100.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:13am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefmomrd

Ok, so what I'm thinking is charge $50 rental fee, which is what seems to be the going rate in the area. Then $100 deposit. Rent out for 2 days, then $25 a day if not returned on time. The stand will cost me about $100.

This was a little confusing, but herer's what I see, If it costs $100.00 than I would rent it for $50.00 for 2 days (total at this point would be $150.00 down/ deposit and rental) and if it is not back with in those 2 days than it would cost and addtional $25.00 per day after the 2 days of rental ... Right? Which would be taken out of the $100.00 deposit? So at this point if I am reading it right, you really need to have a deposit contract with this in it and make sure the customer understands the terms of the deposit and rental fee and signs it, with them also getting a copy of your signed agreement. HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #7 of 9

I covered one of those cardboard towers for a charity event, paper and ribbon. Now I am extremely anal about my work, but this tower took me 1 1/2 hours to cover... platforms and supports. The problem with letting a customer cover one is that they may be sloppy and your cupcakes are on it. When I was finished with the cardboard one, you could not tell what it was made of, but beware of the time involved. I will use it again, but I will charge accordingly. My next purchase is an acrylic one. Both will be rented for 20% of the cost and a full replacement deposit (clause for damage).

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 9

I vote option B too
whereas to how much to charge really depends on the area your from & how much others in the same area are charging for the same item. You & jewels710 comments are very reasonable both show that differnt areas charge differnt prices, just stick to what you think is right icon_smile.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 5:11am
post #9 of 9

I charge a $50 delivery fee and a $75 set-up fee for large events. Maybe charge less in your area for the delivery part (hey,parking here is expensive!), but putting together the cupcake stands (yours or the customers) and then putting that many cupcakes on said stand takes a TON of time. Time is money.

I have been telling my cupcake customers to supply their own stands, but I have been thinking about renting them out and now have small ones for purchase.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%