Fondant Alphabet Cutters

Decorating By RosieC Updated 25 Feb 2011 , 3:20am by drakegore

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 21

Several weeks ago I came across something here I think about some alphabet push molds...they had a funny name and I can't remember what it was...not the tappits...but something where you pressed into the fondant and then pushed it out with another piece....can anyone help with the name? Thanks!

20 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 21
RosieC Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:46pm
post #3 of 21

That's it..thanks so much!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #4 of 21

I'm curious as to the reviews of the clickstix.. Anyone have them? What is your opinion?

thumbsdown.gif or thumbs_up.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

I'm curious as to the reviews of the clickstix.. Anyone have them? What is your opinion?

thumbsdown.gif or thumbs_up.gif

Definitely thumbs_up.gif - I have the 'groovy' sets.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 1:24am
post #6 of 21

i loooooove them. so much easier, cleaner, and faster than tappits.
i highly recommend them.
diane

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:11am
post #7 of 21

I love, love, love them. My favorite set yet! You can see them on my monkey cake in my pics. (the green 2 tiered cake)

NanaSandy Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:13am
post #8 of 21

I forgot to add if you get them, when you go to use them, roll your fondant extra thin to get them to turn out correct. I had to play with them to get the right look. But once I figured out how thin the fondant needed to be, they are the BEST!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 8:12am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaSandy

I love, love, love them. My favorite set yet! You can see them on my monkey cake in my pics. (the green 2 tiered cake)

Nice job on the monkey cake. I was looking at these earlier and put them in my wish list. I'm on a budget so I have to pace myself.

Thank you all for the reviews. I have the tappits and while I really like them, these look much easier.

NanaSandy Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:04am
post #10 of 21

thank you for the compliment on the monkey cake...I had a great time doing it. And I understand pacing yourself on what you buy. These are worth the money, so keep saving and then treat yourself.
I myself am saving for an airbrush!! I am thinking it will be awhile before I can afford it, but still, you have to set a goal. icon_cool.gificon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:18am
post #11 of 21

I learned a tappits trick on here. After you roll your fondant thin, lay a piece of Saran wrap I've the fondant the press down the tappits. They come out perfect every time. I struggled with tappits until I learned that. Gotta love CC

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:28am
post #12 of 21

Oh wow! SO you lay saran wrap down on the thin rolled out fondant, then press the tappits through the fondant and saran wrap? Is that how you stated it? Reason I"m asking is because I got my new tappit set and like it, but it took a lot of work to get them fondant pressed out of the tappit to come out nice..so I hope this tip will benefit me quicker and neater!

Thanks and I"ll have to try those other cutters out too! Sounds great!

Jenifer

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:46am
post #13 of 21

Yep that's exactly what you do. The letters on my cars cake were done this way. The saran wrap keeps them from sticking in the cutter and allows you to press really firmly. You still have to let them set up a few minutes before moving them onto the cake but it works great. I was afraid the Saran would cause wrinkles but I had no problems.

RosieC Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 11:40am
post #14 of 21

Wow...I can't wait to try the Saran Wrap trick...I've always only used gumpaste with mine as the fondant was such a mess sticking in it. Thanks everyone for the response...can't wait to buy some of those clickstix too!

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #15 of 21

Does the ejector come with the groovy set or do you buy it separately? Thanks![/img]

drakegore Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 10:23pm
post #16 of 21

it comes with it (the ejector is actually physically attached behind the cutters).

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 23 Feb 2011 , 11:31pm
post #17 of 21

Just had clikstix sets delivered today. I don't understand the part of the directions that say to "scrub" on the board lightly. Would someone kindly explain this part? Thanks so much!

drakegore Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #18 of 21

after you press the cutter into the fondant, move the cutter slightly forwards and backwards a bit so that you get nice clean edges on the cut.

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 24 Feb 2011 , 5:29pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

Just had clikstix sets delivered today. I don't understand the part of the directions that say to "scrub" on the board lightly. Would someone kindly explain this part? Thanks so much!

I just used mine for the first time this weekend. I love them. Much easier to use then Tappitts (but I love the tappitt funky font). You need to hold them by the edges and rub it back and forth. Then lift and press the back to eject. I tried to attach a photo but I am not very computer literate and can't get it to work. But you can see it in my photos. Good Luck!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 1:53am
post #20 of 21

I can't wait to see the new Clickstix...I invested in the Tappits and I hate them! I've never yet been able to get them out and use them. Pure frustration, even with all the tips from CC...

drakegore Posted 25 Feb 2011 , 3:20am
post #21 of 21

...you're gonna love these icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%