We Just Did Our First "icing Smiles" Cake

Lounge By cownsj Updated 20 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm by cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:00am
post #1 of 17

Today we delivered our first cake for Icing Smiles. The story of our little girl is under the photo, but I wonder if anyone else has been as moved as us when doing a cake for them? I went to a hospital today, knowing I was going into a cancer clinic for children. But you'd never know any of these children were sick. I was just so uplifted by the experience, there is no way any cake could be better than what I know I got back from the experience.

For weeks we have worked on making a couple dozen different fondant piggies for this cake, and it would make me giggle when I'd see the personality emerge with each new one, their expression, or what they were doing, or holding.

I was just curious if anyone else has felt this way when doing a cake for Icing Smiles?

16 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:22am
post #2 of 17

I haven't done a cake for them (although I'd love to). I think what you do is fantastic and I'm so happy you got to have your cake be a part of such a rewarding experience.

Good work and a big HUG to you!

cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 17

Thanks Annie. Have you signed up with them to be a volunteer? We were so excited when we signed up, over a year ago. Relieved we hadn't been contacted for a cake, thinking that meant there were no children near us that were in need. Then when we got the contact, the feelings were mixed over thinking about any child that would need this, and being excited the be getting to do a special cake. The excitment was definitely the dominant feeling. But after being there, wow, what an experience.

You should go to their website and offer to be one of their volunteers.

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 17

OMG. I've never heard of Icing Smiles, but I just wanted to say how adorable your cake is. I love it! And I'm so glad you had that experience. How awesome.

cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:42am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbieCakes

OMG. I've never heard of Icing Smiles, but I just wanted to say how adorable your cake is. I love it! And I'm so glad you had that experience. How awesome.

Oh TabbieCakes, you have to go to their website. They are phenomenal. use the name plus dot com and you're there. Tracy Q. started it, her story is on the site, and the fact that she has done this is beyond amazing to me. I hope everyone learns about them and can become one of their volunteers. And they come to you first to ask if you are able to do a given cake before they commit to the family, so you don't have to feel you're on the spot if the timing isn't good for you. They are so wonderful to work with.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 10:05am
post #6 of 17

I did visit their website a while back. For some reason I was thinking they wanted people who have an existing business, but I just bake as a hobby. If I misread please let me know. I give all my cakes away anyway so it wouldn't be a big deal.

What kind of cakes are they looking for? I don't do carved cakes or anything like that...I've just never been asked. I wasn't sure if they were looking for TV show type cakes or not.

This would be exciting if I could do it! A while back, my husband (a pilot) wanted to do Angel Flight, where you fly sick children and their families to and from special doctor's appointments, but with the cost of gas and renting the airplane, it was determined we didn't have enough cash flow to do it. So if I could do this, it would be another way of helping someone in need, which is what life is all about.

cownsj Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 17

Annie,
We're just hobby bakers. They check the laws of your state to be sure you can do this as a hobby baker. They will ask the family for basic info on what they would like to see in a cake, but the end design is up to the cake decorator. So, if you don't do carved cakes, that won't matter. There is a button to click to see some of the photos of cakes done on their site, and you'll see they are all very different. We had to wait while they checked the laws here initially, but they got that resolved very quickly and we were put on their list. And yes, they do highlight an area with professional bakers, but that part of the site is just to help promote those in businesses who have already baked a cake for them.

AnnieCahill Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 17

That sounds great. I thought about getting a license and getting my kitchen inspected, but we have two small dogs and I wouldn't feel comfortable (even though it's allowed). That would be the only thing holding me back. But I will look into it and see what I can find out.

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #9 of 17

Thank you so much for posting this! I've been looking for something to do with the cakes I make until the Cottage Food Laws get passed here in WA. I sent in my e-mail to volunteer, I hope I get to contribute to such a fantastic program.

cownsj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:03am
post #10 of 17

j0z1e, I'm so glad to hear you did. You are going to love it, and love your people. I went in feeling proud that I could give to someone in need, but never expected that I would be the one getting more out of it. Let me know how you make out with your application with them, and good luck. It will change your life, I'll bet on it.

j0z1e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j0z1e Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:23am
post #11 of 17

Oh I can't wait, this is a way better excuse to make cakes than just to practice, lol! I just looked at photos on their FB and read the stories, and have to admit that I totally teared up. I love how that one baker's daughter got involved, I hope that mine will when she's old enough, she's only 1 now. Hopefully they get back to me soon so that I can help out. ^_^

cownsj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:30am
post #12 of 17

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I know this was THE most important cake we ever made. We began making piggies weeks ago, and having so much fun with each one we made. I think half our time was spent with me giggling over them when they were done. And the other half taking photos and sending them to friends to critique and get new ideas from them as well. And after having all those piggies sitting here for so long, I miss them now. lol

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:42am
post #13 of 17

Icing Smiles is a great organization! What an honor to be able to do a cake for them. I signed up a few months ago but haven't been matched with anyone yet but like the OP said, that's a good thing!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:55am
post #14 of 17

Just wanted to say thank you. I lost my son a few years back to cancer, days before his third birthday. I follow this organization closely & it always brings me great joy to see the work they do. I can tell you that when you are in that place, the kindness of a stranger has never been felt so deep. So from both a baker & a parent I give you my deepest respect & heartfelt thank you.
I also am only a hobby baker & would love to join. I thought I had seen it was only for bakeries as well. If anyone knows different, please share. I would be honored to join their cause!

cownsj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 5:12am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

Just wanted to say thank you. I lost my son a few years back to cancer, days before his third birthday. I follow this organization closely & it always brings me great joy to see the work they do. I can tell you that when you are in that place, the kindness of a stranger has never been felt so deep. So from both a baker & a parent I give you my deepest respect & heartfelt thank you.
I also am only a hobby baker & would love to join. I thought I had seen it was only for bakeries as well. If anyone knows different, please share. I would be honored to join their cause!

Your story made me cry and feel yesterday's event all the more deeply. You only need to be a hobby baker, providing it fits the guidelines of your state. And no need to go searching, Icing Smiles has already done that. We are hobby bakers, and were told we were on hold until they could verify with our state that we could bake for them. We held our breath for what seemed like an eternity. then the word came that we could still volunteer. I'm so sorry for you loss. And yes, I can certainly see how you would feel better giving back to those who are still there. I hope you get to do a cake for them.

The story of my little girl whose cake we did yesterday is written up under the photo of her cake. Two of the little ones who were sharing their birthday in Feb. was a little girl who is turning 1 this week, and another who just turned two. Such brave and beautiful little children. I am so sorry for your loss, but proud to see you wanting to turn something so awful into somethin special for others. Good for you.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:22pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

You only need to be a hobby baker, providing it fits the guidelines of your state. And no need to go searching, Icing Smiles has already done that. We are hobby bakers, and were told we were on hold until they could verify with our state that we could bake for them. We held our breath for what seemed like an eternity. then the word came that we could still volunteer. I'm so sorry for you loss. And yes, I can certainly see how you would feel better giving back to those who are still there. I hope you get to do a cake for them.

The story of my little girl whose cake we did yesterday is written up under the photo of her cake. Two of the little ones who were sharing their birthday in Feb. was a little girl who is turning 1 this week, and another who just turned two. Such brave and beautiful little children. I am so sorry for your loss, but proud to see you wanting to turn something so awful into somethin special for others. Good for you.

Thank you cownsj. Our story has been our testimony. We keep a garden at the cemetery in his memory. I could go on & on... icon_smile.gif
I emailed them all of my info. I pray that they do not need my services. But I would be humbly honored if they do contact me.

cownsj Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm
post #17 of 17

sebrina, I'm so glad you sent your information in. It shows such courage and strength, and compassion. What a wonderful tribute to your little boy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%