Stamens For Gumpaste/sugar Flowers?

Decorating By newcaker1314 Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 4:38pm by BakingIrene

newcaker1314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:46am
post #1 of 17

I will be making a cake this weekend and trying gumpaste flowers for the first time. I have made many clay/ceramic flowers, so I have an idea about modeling technique, and I have purchased the ingredients, but I'm not sure what to do about stamens.

Should I use wire, toothpicks, what? Also if anyone has ideas on flowers other than roses, I would love some suggestions because I don't have cutters.

Thanks icon_smile.gif I'm 14 and new to this so icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
tntlaurie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tntlaurie Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #2 of 17

You can purchase them at your local craft store like Michaels. Wilton makes them in different colors. They are not edible but look pretty. when the flowers are made.

newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:57am
post #3 of 17

Is there any alternative to purchasing the wilton ones? they don't carry them at my local michaels. Also, is there any way I can give my flowers a more real look without petal dust because they don't carry that either.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:05am
post #4 of 17

Newcaker1314,
Where are you?
Shanter

newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 17

North Vancouver (canada), and there are other michael's stores in my area but quite a drive away and I likely won't have time to get stamens as I am making these flowers tomorrow for a cake to be made on saturday

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:10am
post #6 of 17

You could try making the stamens out of gumpaste, although it might be hard to get the thin part thin enough, but as anyone knows who has been doing this for a while, practice makes perfect and it's amazing what you can do when you have to! About the petal dust, the first thing I'd tell you is to look for it at other craft or cake supply stores. The other thing - and I'm not sure it's a good idea, but people used to do it all the time before these dusts got so popular - is to shave colored chalk into a dust and apply it like luster or petal dust. Make sure it says "non-toxic" on the box, but be aware that "non-toxic" is not the same as "food-safe". If you're going to do it, I'd be sure to discourage people from eating the blooms.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #7 of 17

Oh, yeah, I forgot to say it, but good luck with your cake. If you like it, post a photo so we can see how it turned out!

shanter Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:14am
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcaker1314

North Vancouver (canada), and there are other michael's stores in my area but quite a drive away and I likely won't have time to get stamens as I am making these flowers tomorrow for a cake to be made on saturday

Darn. My cake store in Seattle (Home Cake in the Roosevelt area, if you're ever around here) has the stamens fairly cheap (I can't remember exact price because I haven't bought any for quite a while), but I couldn't get them to you in time.

Can you find any other craft-type shops that would have supplies for making hats? bridal veils? or a fabric store that has that kind of thing?

Good luck,
Shanter

shanter Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:21am
post #9 of 17

Here's an idea: Is there a place that has extra-cheap artificial flowers? You could buy a few and rip the stamens out to put in your gumpaste flowers?

Or you might find artificial flowers by themselves or on hats at a thrift store.

Are there other craft stores in the North Vancouver area besides Michael's?

Shanter

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 1:35am
post #10 of 17

Depending on the look you want, you could try making your own stamens. Maybe wrap some yellow thread around a finger a few times, take it off and twist the loops into one figure eight, then wrap some thin wrapped florists' wire around it. After the thread is secured by wire, snip the loops open and trim your "stamens" to the length you want. To stiffen your stamens, you can dip them in gum glue, shape, and allow to dry.
If you look at tonedna's website (designmeacake.com), she shows you how to make calla lillies, which would not need a stamen (plus many other great tutorials).
Good luck and have fun!

newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:16am
post #11 of 17

Thanks Marianna for the tips icon_smile.gif

Also, would steaming my flowers give them a slightly more real look? I really want them to be edible, so chalk isn't an option. Could I paint them with gel colour around the edges?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 5:04am
post #12 of 17
Quote:

I really want them to be edible, so chalk isn't an option.

Gumpaste flowers aren't typically edible or meant to be consumed, nor would they taste good. Most have inedible components such as wires, floral tape, ribbons, stamens, chalk, etc.

Quote:

Should I use wire, toothpicks, what?

The same with wire and toothpicks... nonedible. I wouldn't worry about making them 100% edible--just don't let anyone try to eat them.

Stamens can be made with sections of twisted or braided nylon rope... cut a 2" section, unwind the twist/braid, dip one end of the unwound section in egg white, then dip it again in sanding sugar. Use as you would with any artificial flower stamens.

newcaker1314 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 17

Thanks CWR41

I guess I'll just have to say not to eat them, but I love your idea for the stamens! I definitely have cord and coloured sugar, so I will use that for the stamens. Thank-you icon_biggrin.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 6:47pm
post #14 of 17

If you use cotton thread for the stamens, you can color them with gel colors mixed with a bit of extract or alcohol. Synthetic thread might not take the color so you'd have to make sure its the right color on its own. I have used cotton kitchen string with some success, but have no photos of that technique yet.

As for painting the edges of your flowers with gels, that will work if you mix the gel with a bit of alcohol or extract. If you use just the gel it might stay sticky. The carnations in this photo have the edges painted with a mix of vodka and Wilton's no taste red http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1938387/1938388, and the daisies in this one are done with vodka and Wilton's peach http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923723 . It does require a light touch, but I love the effect for carnations in particular. Here's another example of carnations thought they don't show up as clearly http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924472.

newcaker1314 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:18am
post #15 of 17

Thanks so much cakeyouverymuch! I am doing an almond cake with raspberry filling and white chocolate buttercream so I'll mix a little bit of gel colour with some almond extract to paint on the flowers. I think I'm just going to do fondant ribbon roses and leave the gumpaste for another time though.. Too much for right now icon_sad.gif

MythicMelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MythicMelle Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 5:49am
post #16 of 17

I am in the process of mass producing my own stamens in bulk to replicate those you can purchase at the cake store. My plan is to fold over the tip of the wire the depth that is desired for the stamen tip and then dip it in melted fondant or gumpaste .You can nuke this stuff as well as regular royal or buttercream icing and it becomes a viscus liquid depending on how long you heat it. So, if it is left thicker when you heat it, it will create a hyperbolic shape over the "bubble" zone of the wire fairly easily. To get the slightly conical shape you see in the manufactured ones, poke the dipped wire tip into the colored heated icing and then sink it into a piece of foam to cool and dry hard. In the brief time necessary for it to set up, it will slump slightly on the wire making the top pointier and the bottom thicker. Repeat as necessary to get the size you desire.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 4:38pm
post #17 of 17

Check out goldaskitchen.com for mailorder supplies.

Also vendor bluelakefox on ebay.ca

Both reliable excellent customer service and tons of stuff online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%