Need Help For Charity Event!

Baking By mangospectacular Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm by Stephy42088

mangospectacular Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangospectacular Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 12:27am
post #1 of 9

Hi!

So, I was asked to bring cupcakes to donate for a bake sale for a cancer patient. I have made cupcakes at home a lot but it's been awhile and I need help.

I have been pouring over the forum for two days in hopes of making a great tasting & looking cupcake and I'm absolutely overwhelmed! I've looking at my cake pans with hatred (You're not the William Sonoma Goldtouch! You'll never do!)

And I've narrowed down the recipes to about 30.. give or take.. Haha!

So, can someone just suggest their favorite cupcake & frosting recipe?

Also, I love the look of the buttercream below.. since it's so wide.. could I just use a ziplock bag with the tip cut out to get the same effect??

http://cbsatlanta.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/camicakes.jpg

Thanks!

8 replies
kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 9

I don't think I'd use a ziplock personally. I think when the bag is cut it tends to be a little oblong instead of a good circle, giving the icing a wierd shape. That's totally my opinion though icon_smile.gif I'd do classic combos, nothing too fancy. Vanilla cake with vanilla buttercream, or orange buttercream, choc w/choc, lemon with raspberry. Simple yet yummy

Pam0429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam0429 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 9

If it helps any, I am doing a bake sale for Relay for Life and I am doing vanilla w/buttercream and choc w/choclate. I did cookies for the last bake sale all 24 sold in an hour. icon_biggrin.gif

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 9

Have you ever made just vanilla or chocolate with a chocolate chip cookie in the middle? Those are the easiest and every time I make them people go nuts and ask me how in world I got the cookie in there icon_biggrin.gif I even use a box mix. icon_surprised.gif Forgive me, those who only bake from scratch. They taste really good.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 9

What an excellent idea Bubbl3h3ad! I'm guessing you just bake the all ready baked cookie in the middle of the batter?

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 9

Oh, sorry, I should have included that I guess icon_razz.gif Buy the pre-made cookie dough that is already cut into squares. Keep it in the freezer until you have the cake batter mixed up. Put a couple of spoons of batter in the bottom of the wrapper and then plop in a frozen cookie dough square. Cover it up with a bit more batter and then bake for about 20 minutes. They are heavenly when they are still warm without frosting! The cookie dough doesn't cook all the way into a hard cookie, it's soft and YUM.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 9

That will be my next batch of cupcakes!! Thanks Bubbl3h3ad!!!!

Bubbl3h3ad Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 9

OH! And I also make one out of yellow cake and put the pre-made snickerdoodle inside and top with cinnamon buttercream. OMG, I think I might make some in a little bit, they are so good!

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 9

Also check out the gourmet flavors thread, there are some great recipes and great ideas! But I would stick with things that everyone likes, like chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, maybe even some banana! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%