Filling Cupcake Pans?

Baking By cowboy61s_girl Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 4:14am by scp1127

cowboy61s_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowboy61s_girl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for making pouring batter into cupcake pans easier. also how to get them more uniform in size. I have had several orders lately and am getting frustrated with them not being uniform in size and taking forever pouring the batter neatly in the liners Thank you so much for any suggestions or input.

13 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 14

I use a #20 portion scoop. You can also use a cookie or ice cream scoop. The #20 holds about 3T ov batter. Get even consistent c

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 14

I use a 2 oz scooper (like a cookie scoop, but from a restaurant store, you can order all different sizes)

Until I got the scooper (which makes it so easy!) I used a scant 1/4 cup and scraped it out with a knife or small spatula.

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:06am
post #4 of 14

I agree with the ice cream scoop method. For thinner batters, I put it in a large squeeze bottle with a large hole cut in the tip. You can't guarantee that each liner has the same amount, but you can eyeball if pretty well. Very fast, very clean. Doesn't take long to fill the bottle if you use a funnel with a large hole.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #5 of 14

I use a 50ml scoop - perfect every time in my mind. a 60ml(1/4 cup) is way too much.

I use a 50ml ice cream scooper - I spray it with butter spray and it all pretty much just plops out.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 6:54am
post #6 of 14

I just use my pampered chef ice cream scooper that I've had for years. 2 scoops seem to fill it a perfect just over halfway. It's the medium pampered chef scoop, I got it to make perfectly round drop cookies!

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 14

I also use the Pampered Chef icecream scoop they come in 3 sizes, I use the large for the standard size & the small for the mini (one scoop each),
Your cupcakes can never go wrong with a scoop they will all be the same size, another tip is to tap the tray a couple of times (on the floor) before putting it in the oven to release any air bubbles
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcations

I also use the Pampered Chef icecream scoop they come in 3 sizes, I use the large for the standard size & the small for the mini (one scoop each),
Your cupcakes can never go wrong with a scoop they will all be the same size, another tip is to tap the tray a couple of times (on the floor) before putting it in the oven to release any air bubbles
Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

The large pampered chef scoop is a #20 (it's on the part that actually "scoops" out the product)
The medium is a #40 and the small is a #60, if you're looking for comparables at a kitchen or restaurant store.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 9:41pm
post #9 of 14

I just put it in a disposable pastry bag and squeeze out the same swirl amount in each one.. not perfect but clean and fairly uniform. I love the pampered chef cookie scoop idea though, I have one and may try that.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 14
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 14

Tiggy2 - that device looks great but I see on the site that it got mixed reviews. Do you have any trouble with it leaking around the gasket on the bottom like one poster noted?

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 14

I pour my batter into a gallon size zip loc bag, seal it, then cut the tip off a little of one corner. Pour into cups, I visually pour. I think using the baggie makes seeing the amounts so much easier and you've got total control over the amount and no drips!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 14

Nope, it works great. My friend also has one and loves it. If I were the person that had one that leaked I would have taken it back. The other 2 reviews were good.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 4:14am
post #14 of 14

I found the BB&B dispenser works great for thinner batters, so I use scoops for the others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%