Cricut Trouble Please Help Me :(

Decorating By trulyscrumpcakes Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 1:35am by CGoguen

trulyscrumpcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumpcakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 10

I just opened my Cricut last night and started experimenting with it and it is not cutting well!! It is dragging and cutting very choppy and the edges of all the cut outs are jagged edged ;( I have increased the pressure slowed down the speed and everything and its not working correctly! I used both gum paste and fondant too. Should I be freezing it for 15 minutes before cutting?? would that help?? I have to make this work today for the wedding cake im delivering for my fiance's sisters wedding TOMORROW and it has to be perfect and i really dont want to pipe everything cuz im already on stress mode and piping everything will just double the stress
;( SOMEBODY, ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE!

9 replies
SweetAction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetAction Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 10

With my cricut, I've found that putting shortening on the mat before rolling the fondant onto it helps to stop the fondant from dragging.

JenFailla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenFailla Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 10

I had this trouble with it at first too! I found that if I used the "cricut cake" gumpaste (I got mine where I bought the machine) it helped tremendously. Also, as many have said in other threads- the thinner, the better. I bought one of those hand-cranked pasta rollers at Bed Bath and Beyond for like 25 bucks- Best thing I bought- It thins the gumpaste out and more evenly than I could with my fondant roller. Also- this depends on your climate, but I've had better luck with just letting the gumpaste sit out on the counter to dry a little before cutting. This just worked better for me than freezing... the freezing kept making mine get sticky. Good luck!!!!

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 10

Both solutions above really help. a very light coating of shortening on the mat should allow it to stick. You need it to be VERY thin as well. I have the pasta rollers for a kitchen Aid, and I usually roll it to a 6 (the thinnest setting) before applying it to the mat. You need to make sure it's perfectly flat. Then I usually leave it for a minute or two before cutting it.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 10

I used the Cricut sheets (fondant, I think) and have had soooooo much trouble with them tearing. Why on earth would their brand be so bad in the machine? I did put a thin layer of shortening on the mat and I've read much of the long discussion here which gave tips, but honestly, my Cricut Cake sits in my closet gathering dust. I'm so disappointed!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 10

I use mine with the Wilton gum paste, the Cricut takes forever to dry for me. I grease the mat with a good bit of grease, roll out my gum paste to 1/4 of an inch thick, place it on my mat, cut away any excess & then freeze for 30 minutes. I get my cricut completely ready before I take the gum paste out, so there is no time for it to thaw. I had to keep playing with the speed & pressure to get it right. Keep playing with it, you will get it. Good luck & HTH!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 10

Roll very, very thin, let set to dry a MINIMUM of 30 minutes before trying to cut (and it may take longer). I know you don't want to hear this but why would you wait till the week the wedding cake is due to learn how to do a new technique? The cricut takes patience and practice.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:00am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Roll very, very thin, let set to dry a MINIMUM of 30 minutes before trying to cut (and it may take longer). I know you don't want to hear this but why would you wait till the week the wedding cake is due to learn how to do a new technique? The takes patience and practice.

This exactly, I am worried for you, friend, because this contraption takes loads and loads of practice and is very time consuming. I suggest you do a search here and read thru the countless other threads about the Cricut, all the problems people have with it, and what others offer a solutions.

Good luck,

Jen

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:30am
post #9 of 10

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Most of the posts are about trouble but you just need some practice. It is not that hard. Just play with it, don't let it frustrate you. If you can make a rose, then you can work a cricut. It's just a piece of equipment. Take a deep breathe & play with it. Most people get discouraged by these discussions. They almost talked me out of buying mine & I absolutely LOVE mine! Trust yourself & have fun. You will get it! thumbs_up.gif

CGoguen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CGoguen Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:35am
post #10 of 10

Here is my approach and it has not failed me yet:

Roll fondant/gum paste out on a mat or counter that is greased with shortning (not so much that there is white spots). Then I grease my mat the same way. Roll dough at least 1/8th of an inch thin. Carefully life dough from surface and onto mat. Smooth out any air bubbles and trim excess if needed. Place uncovered in freezer for 5-10 minutes. Take from freezer and place directly on machine and cut. I use medium pressure and medium speed.

The only time I had tearing was when I did not freeze.

Also... before you try again, take the blade out of the machine and make sure there is no dough on it at all. This will interfer with your future cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%