My First Try With Lorann Oils

Decorating By cakelover613 Updated 21 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm by Herekittykitty

cakelover613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover613 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 24

I am trying out some LorAnn Oils on my buttercream to change up my cake flavors, and the other day I tested out Peanut Butter and Hazelnut. The Hazelnut, I thought, tasted terrible, though my mom and a couple others really seemed to like it. Anyone else think it was terrible that has tried it? Also, when I made the Peanut Butter, I ended up using 2 full drams just to get a hint of the peanut butter flavor into the buttercream. My buttercream recipe is similar to the Buttercream Dream recipe, only I use less milk. Why did it take so much? Is it normally that way? Also, I want to make Cherry buttercream, but have seen a few people say they don't care for the LorAnn Oils Cherry, thought about using the juice from maraschino cherries, substituted for some of the milk, is that ok to do? I've never actually substituted anything for the milk in my frosting!

FYI I already read the thread on LorAnn Oils(well...most of it..there's a TON in there...I couldn't take anymore LOL).

23 replies
infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 24

I have no experience using LorAnn oils but if you want a devine cherry flavor you might want to try Boyajian brand.

It is more expensive than the other brands but their flavorings are to die for.

I used the cherry flavor to flavor some fondant and decorated dark chocolate cookies. The recipient was so amazed and pleased with the flavor.

I personally loved it too! icon_smile.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 24

I love to use Lorann oils to change up my BC. The Caramel flavor is a HUGE hit for me. So many people order it.
I have read here that some folks even use them in cake. That I have not tried yet. I remember reading that someone used Bubble Gum flavor in a kids cake and it turned out to be a huge hit, even with the adults. Not sure I am that brave! LOL

But, I too have found some flavors to be much stronger than others in the sense that I have to be very careful when adding new flavors and taste test as I go along. I always separate out a small bowl of icing to "try out" a new flavor. That way if its gross I have not wasted a ton of icing/ingredients.
I have found that the Orange Cream (YUM by the way) needs two drams when mixed with a 1/2 batch (2-3 qts) of icing.
When I fill my 5Qt Kitchen Aid, I generally use close to 2 drams of most flavors so that is what I base my "need" on when making a batch of flavored BC.

cakelover613 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:39pm
post #4 of 24

Thanks for the info! 1 batch of my buttercream gives me a little over 1/2 of my 5 qt kitchenaid mixing bowl full. So I guess I better just stock up on a bunch of the oils! FYI I don't know what this website is like, I have heard of it before but I found they have some of the lorann oils on sale for $1.18 a dram! Free shipping over $49. planetrx is the site, that's a great price! I paid $1.50 a bottle at my local cake supply.

cakelover613 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 24

I did forget to ask. I saw a few different opinions on whether or not the flavor gets stronger as it sits, and I don't know if it was just me but it seemed that after my peanut butter frosting sat a couple hours it got stronger in flavor. Can I just expect that will happen? Has that been your experience?

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 24

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. Like with color, the more the flavor has a chance to "marry" the stronger it can get. Probalby won't happen with all flavors but may with some. It happened with my Bavarian Cream flavored SMBC. I acutually ended up adding some unflavored SMBC to bring it back down a bit.

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 24

When you are at your local cake supply ask them about buying in bulk...if they will discount it for you.

Mine will give me 10% off if I buy the whole box (12 per box).

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 24

It's funny that this topic came up, I just purchased several of the flavors in the oils, and believe it or no the only reason I decided to try it is that my local Walmarts had discounted $1 per (2) per bottle pack! Might want to check the discount isle at your walmarts and wilton sections just in case.

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 24

Infinitysky, where do you get the Boyajian brand?

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 24

The flavors I've tried from LorAnn are hit or miss with me. My all time favorite from them is the Almond and I use a scant 1/2 teaspoon for a full recipe of WASC. Cinnamon, spearmint, peppermint and clove are also awesome.
The very worst flavors I've tried are: red licorice, bavarian cream, black walnut and cheesecake.
On their website, I noticed that there is a line of 100% natural oil flavorings and am going to try those the next time I order....which may not be for a long time, the 4 oz size bottle of Almond REALLY REALLY goes a long way!

cakenovice2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenovice2010 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 24

I've had good luck with lemon, raspberry, apple, butterscotch. The mint chocolate chip was disgusting.

I've used it in cakes but it tends to really affect the cakes shape (at least in my oven) so I am careful with it now.

Buttercream 1 dram for half of the KA bowl of buttercream is what I use but it's not always needed for stronger oils like the butterscotch.

cakelover613 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 24

I just made an order at LoRann's website, and I had almond on there but took it off because I just purchased a large bottle of an almond extract at the cake supply store. Now I wish I had kept it so I could try it! Almond is my most requested among my family, and they always suggest it to others when I do cakes for others. Does it have a different flavor from the regular almond extract? Hubby wanted me to try red licorice he's a nut for licorice, but good thing I said "Lets stick with these for now....." I'm really excited to try english toffee and pecan, they sound sooo yum. Thanks for all the opinions on the oils it's helpful for those of us who haven't tried them to know what those of you that have think, before we spend the money on them!

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 24

reason I decided to try it is that my local Walmarts had discounted $1 per (2) per bottle pack! Might want to check the discount isle at your walmarts and wilton sections just in case.

I have not seen Lorann oils in Walmart - not in Wilton section - where?

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 24

I like to use Watkins Hazelnut extract to flavor both a variation of WASC and buttercream. It always goes over big.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:05am
post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelover613

I just made an order at LoRann's website, and I had almond on there but took it off because I just purchased a large bottle of an almond extract at the cake supply store. Now I wish I had kept it so I could try it! Almond is my most requested among my family, and they always suggest it to others when I do cakes for others. Does it have a different flavor from the regular almond extract? Hubby wanted me to try red licorice he's a nut for licorice, but good thing I said "Lets stick with these for now....." I'm really excited to try english toffee and pecan, they sound sooo yum. Thanks for all the opinions on the oils it's helpful for those of us who haven't tried them to know what those of you that have think, before we spend the money on them!

The red licorice doesn't even taste like red licorice, it's completely nasty, my son suggested that maybe it needs to be mixed strawberry or cherry to achieve that familiar licorice flavor (he's only 12 and he's a freakin' genius- I tell ya!) So maybe I will try mixing it with a strawberry or cherry flavoring and see what happens. I've found the difference between the almond oil flavoring and regular almond extract is the oil has a much sharper flavor and the smell is much stronger. When people eat my WASC the first thing they comment on is how great it smells and they are always able to identify the almond flavor right away. I was not impressed with the english toffee but it was okay...I think I may have worked it up in my mind that it was going to be so freakin' awesome and it was just ho-hum- hopefully you'll like it though, that is the best part about LorAnn oils is that you can try a dram of flavor and if it's not your cup of tea it's not like it cost you an arm and a leg to find out.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:48am
post #16 of 24

I don't like the cheesecake flavor, either. I almost tastes like it has coffee in it or something. It's such a shame; I'd really like to find a cream cheese flavoring for icing.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:21am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa369

Infinitysky, where do you get the Boyajian brand?

You can buy it at whole food markets, sur la table stores, or online.
There are many online supplier, boyajianinc.com, amazon.com and kingarthurflour.com

As I said in the previous post they are expensive, but I am only a hobby baker and do not bake that often. When I bake for my family or friend gatherings I like to use the best ingredients I can find.

hickety883 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hickety883 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #18 of 24

I have just done a cotton candy buttercream that was a huge hit!!! Tasted fantastic!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:16am
post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMAWOF4

reason I decided to try it is that my local Walmarts had discounted $1 per (2) per bottle pack! Might want to check the discount isle at your walmarts and wilton sections just in case.

I have not seen Lorann oils in Walmart - not in Wilton section - where?

It was at my local walmarts in Sebring, Florida, they have an isle with just clearence stuff in it and they also had some in the Wilton section too. I don't recall ever really seeing it in Wlamart but it was there and hopefully more there when I get back there tomorrow. thumbs_up.gif

rosa369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosa369 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 12:22pm
post #20 of 24

Thank you infinitsky. icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 5:18pm
post #21 of 24

Cakelover, have you been to Lynn's Cake & Candy in Fridley? It's about 2 miles north of 694 on 169. They have just about every flavor of loranns, and other flavorings. Also a full selection of Americolors. Well worth the drive. Lots of cake toys.

rochae17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rochae17 Posted 19 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

Cakelover, have you been to Lynn's Cake & Candy in Fridley? It's about 2 miles north of 694 on 169. They have just about every flavor of loranns, and other flavorings. Also a full selection of Americolors. Well worth the drive. Lots of cake toys.

I live in Mound, mn, are there any other cake supply stores in the area? I'm starting out but really getting into it and want to stock up on a few things.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 20 Feb 2011 , 7:08am
post #23 of 24

I have never tried Lorann's, but Olive Nation offers all natural extracts and the quality is fantastic. Customer service is great... can't say enough good about their products.

Herekittykitty Posted 21 Feb 2011 , 6:03pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochae17

I live in Mound, mn, are there any other cake supply stores in the area? I'm starting out but really getting into it and want to stock up on a few things.

Since Sweet Celebrations went out of business, other than the craft stores, this is the only Cake/Candy place I have been able to find in the metro area. I live in the Woodbury area so it's quite a jaunt to go up to Fridley so I try to make my trips count. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%