Black Icing

Baking By ZaveyCakes Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm by queenbeekristen

ZaveyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZaveyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:26am
post #1 of 8

I am wanting to use black icing to pipe a design onto a cake and I need to know the best way to make black icing. I heard that mixing black dye into plain buttercream makes grey. So please let me know!

Thanks.

7 replies
oakleygirl77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oakleygirl77 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 8

In the Wilton classes our teacher told us to mix a tube of the black Wilton icing in with our buttercream and then add black food color to get black icing that isn't bitter tasting.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:55am
post #3 of 8

How about starting with a dark chocolate buttercream, then you can add less black color to get the black icing.

As oekleygirl77 said the wilton ready to use icings are a good choice too, specially if you want to pipe just borders or a small design. You can use them directly from the tube.

HTH

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:57am
post #4 of 8

Americolor Super black - works perfectly. It is easier if you start with chocolate icing, but not necessary.

ZaveyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZaveyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:09am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the help! It is greatly appreciated.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:27am
post #6 of 8

I also use the Americolor black and usually start with a chocolate icing. I let it sit for a bit (sometimes overnight) because the black tends to deepen over time.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:33am
post #7 of 8

Americolor super black - very concentrated stuff!

queenbeekristen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
queenbeekristen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 8

Another vote for the Americolor black gel - it's a million times better than any other black gel coloring I've used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%