Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By kathyb102143 Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 11:37pm by Daisy1

kathyb102143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyb102143 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:01am
post #1 of 9

Any suggestions on making gum paste flower a little less dull?

Any suggestions on making a successful orchid

8 replies
NataliaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NataliaD Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:25am
post #2 of 9

Get Alan Dunn's Sugar Orchids for Cakes book. He is very good at step by step instructions, and there are so many orchids there!!!!!!!!
Search internet for some tutorials.
Steam your flowers over the pot for a few sec to get that dullness out. Also there are special varnishes you can buy to make petals and leaves very shiny. icon_smile.gif
Hope i helped a little

judcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judcreations Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #3 of 9

There are tutorials on you tube on how to make orchids. If u type in orchids in sugarpaste you will find then easily.

Judith

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 8:01am
post #4 of 9

Natalia, sorry to be thick, but do you mean hold the ready made flower over the steam makes it shine when it dries? Does this make it droop? Can you do this after you have dusted with petal dust and if so what happens to the colour of the flower? Sorry again to be thick, but I am looking for a way to make my flowers shine more at night!

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 11:54am
post #5 of 9

Using luster dust should get them to shine when light is on them, ie at night. I'm not familar with the steaming. HTH

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 9

You can luster or petal dust them, then pass them through the steam of a kettle or steamer for just a second or so. Too long and they will wilt. This will set the dust so that it doesn't fall off onto your cake and other decorations and give the flower a permanent sheen. It will also deepen the colors.

NataliaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NataliaD Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:25am
post #7 of 9

Ninky, it will not make them droop if you only steam them for couple seconds. icon_smile.gif It will make the petal dust blend into the gumpaste, also if you want to get the velvety look (like on roses) dust them over again after the steaming.
Like others said...use luster dust to make them shine..... icon_smile.gif

Ninky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ninky Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 6:52am
post #8 of 9

Thanks you all, OK I will try steaming!

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 9

If you don't want to spend the time boiling water and you have a steam iron with a "burst" feature, you can "burst" steam the flowers. This will also keep you from going too long and making them droop. Burst a couple of times, waiting between bursts, to get a really shiny look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%