16Th Bday Cake For Friend

Decorating By Mamatoboys Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 4:58am by Mamatoboys

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 12

One of my best friends asked me to make her daughter's 16th birthday cake for this Sunday. The birthday girl wants a 3 tier cake with the colors pink, blue and yellow (one color per tier). She said she would like the blue tier to "have waves on it" because she's a swimmer. That's all she told me! I'm stumped for how to design this cake!! icon_redface.gif

The birthday girl told me that she's sure that I will come up with something that will be "nice". Ummmm, I could use a little more input! I've been browsing the galleries to come up with some inspiration so that I can start sending the birthday girl some pics to get a feel for what she would like, but no luck!

Anyone have a ideas? Thanks!

11 replies
Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 12

When I read pink, blue and yellow, all I can see is the middle tier blue waves, the top tier a yellow sun, and the bottom tier pink, maybe like a beach towel or something.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking the same thing. The yellow the sun and the pink either part of the sky or a towel...

Mamatoboys Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the replies, jennifer and jamiekwebb. I was thinking that order too. I just need to think of some way to decorate. The cake will be pretty boring if the tiers are just solid colors. I think I'll have to call the b-day girl and pry some ideas out of her icon_smile.gif

Jennifer1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1970 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 12

You could use yellow chunky sugar on the sun to make it sparkly.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 12

I just went to Google Images and searched on "cake waves"--many cakes turned up and maybe you could get an idea from them:
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=cake+waves&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Shanter

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 12

Yay... sanding sugar for sparkle and then waves on the blue and maybe paint some hibiscus on the pink.... o you could make this so cool.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 12

Waves need not be complicated. This one is nice (only you'd do it in blue):
http://media.theknot.com/ImageStage/Objects/0003/0059519/large_image.jpg

Shanter

Mamatoboys Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for the replies!

Shanter: That cake from The Knot is beautiful! I already browsed google for waves. I have that tier decided, it incorporating the other two tiers.

Jennifer: the sanding sugar sounds like a great idea! Thanks, that will give the cake some sparkle too!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 12

I found this one in the galleries....you could do something similar with the colors she likes. Maybe a little more grown up. ??
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1197641

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

Yay... sanding sugar for sparkle and then waves on the blue and maybe paint some hibiscus on the pink.... o you could make this so cool.

I LIKE this idea! icon_smile.gif

Mamatoboys Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #12 of 12

Thanks again for all the advice! I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%