How To Do A This Look - Tucked Drape?

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm by weirkd

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 12

I have a wedding cake coming up in 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks). The bride just came to me this past weekend. She would like the bottom tier to imitate her wedding dress bottom. Can anyone help me figure out how to do this. The cake is going to be entirely fondant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to put in a pict. but couldn't figure it out. Here is an attachment instead.

C:\\Users\\Sheila\\Pictures\\2011-02-15 jess dress\\jess dress 001.jpg

Thanks, Sheila

11 replies
sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 12

Can anyone out there please give some ideas. PLEASEEEEEEE icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 12

We can't see that. It's a link to a file on your personal computer.

sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 12

How do I get the pict on here. I'd put it in my photos, but It's not a cake yet.

sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 12

OK, I'll probably get in trouble for this (sorry in advance) but I placed the photo in "my photos". Here is a link. If someone can tell me how to place the pict. in the post I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sheila

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1942925

sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 12

Going to try an attachment again. Let's see if this works. Sorry for all of the confusion.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 12

If you have a flickr account, upload it there and then post the link here.

sheilabelle Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #8 of 12

Cheatize - Thank you. I took your advice. Let's give this a try.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58506383@N05/?saved=1

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 11:16pm
post #9 of 12

If you put some tylose in your fondant you will be able to get it to be able to keep different positions for draping. Does she want the draping to be the entire cake or sections of draping? It would be easier to do sections using straws under your fondant and letting it set a couple of minutes before applying to the cake. That way it will hold the shape of the straw (or dowel) when you take it away. If she wants the entire cake draped I think I would still do sections and turn the edge of the fondant under the end and start your new section the same way to hide any seams.

sheilabelle Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 12

I think it would be easier to do it in sections. Do you think I should first cover the entire tier in fondant and place a kind of simple swag? I'm worried about how I will blend everything in so you don't see seams. What about choc. clay? Could I tint it white? Would I then be able to blend in the seams better do you think?

Niki11784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niki11784 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 12

I have no idea how to do this, but I bet the cake will be really cool! Let us know when your pic is up!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 12

If you add white chocolate to your fondant you will get a little bit more play time with it before it gets elephant skin on it. The trick to hiding the seams will be in the waves of it (I will try to describe it if you can understand what Im talking about). If you have a wave shape like a U then your next shape is an upside down U. And then it continues to make the shape of the gown. You will have to connect your seams where the U's meet. I suggest making sure its the upside down U part.
It also might be better if you only do half the cake with this technique and then have the rest of it normal. Then you can hide the edges of the panel with a strip of fondant where the two meet. You can make it decorative like cut-out lace or something so that it looks like it belongs there, instead of that your trying to cover up the meeting point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%