Renting A Commercial Kitchen

Business By charlene008 Updated 15 Feb 2011 , 9:49pm by homebasedbaking

charlene008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlene008 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 2

I have a question that I need help with. I am growing out of my kitchen and with the way that the economy is, I can't open my own store front and still keep my head above water with all the rent and stuff. There may be an opportunity for me to rent a commercial kitchen in a church, but I am not sure if this is the best thing to do. Here are my questions:
1. Does anyone out there do this?
2. How much do they pay?
3. Is it hourly, daily, monthly, what?
4. Would I rent by the need that I need the kitchen? The kitchen would also be used for other functions if the need arises or as deemed fit by the church

This would be a great opportunity as they do host weddings and receptions at the church, so the possiblility of the wedding cake business would be a great one!

Please, give any input, questions, concerns, I would really appreciate them!
Thank you

1 reply
homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 2

Many incubator kitchen facilities are designed to help you fulfill your culinary dreams. However before you chalk over your hard earned funds there are a few things to consider.

1. The facility you use should be a licensed, insured facility in accordance to the state/county regulatory agency overseeing incubator kitchens.
2. The kitchen should provide a safe, clean environment for food preparation.
3. The kitchen should have equipment that provides the opportunity for you to bake, cook, grill, refrigerate and freeze food products. (There are some facilities that allow you to process meat, poultry and fish, however they will need special regulatory permits from the FDA/USDA)
4. The incubator kitchen should have ample storage and lockers
5. Some incubator or shared kitchen facilities may ask that you complete an application and may require you provide references

Upon using an incubator you may be asked to supply the following:

* A business license
* Liability Insurance (that names the incubator facility as additionally insured along with product liability insurance
* Caterers License or Food Handlers License
* Food Handlers Certificate
* Security/Cleaning Deposit
* A Signed Contract (This secures the use of the facility for a specific time and for a specified amount of money) Do not work without a contract.

The Incubator Facility should provide you with the following information:

* The number of hours you can utilize the kitchen facility and other services/equipment
* The amount of refrigeration/freezer space available for your use
* The amount of dry storage space available for your use
* Where you are allowed to securely store your personal belongings while you work
* Additional services that an incubator may offer include
* Delivery from your food purveyors
* Office Space
* Internet and Phone Use

There was a Facebook chat on this last Friday, here's the link!/pages/HomeBasedBakingcom/100912036650193 You'll have to scroll down about half way on the page to pick up the conversation, interesting questions were addressed about renting a commercial kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%