Wired Sugar Flowers In Hand Luggage On Flights?

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 14 Jul 2017 , 12:57pm by EverAfter

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:22am
post #1 of 10

Anyone know if this is allowed? I am travelling back to the UK next week for my Mum's 70th birthday and have made 75 wired sugar roses to go on her cake. I have very carefully packed them, but I want to take them on in my hand luggage as I don't want them broken in my suitcase. Has anyone had a problem doing this with all the restrictions they have these days (flying KLM if that makes a difference!)?

9 replies
Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:59am
post #2 of 10

woow tough one!! never traveled with flowers.. i think it should be ok.. maybe someone on CC knows somone working in an airport?!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:15am
post #3 of 10

I know someone who took one of Jennifer Dontz's gumpaste flower classes. She carefully packed them and when she went through security, they unpacked them and broke all of them. Don't think they have any respect for the time and art of beautiful sugar flowers.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:16am
post #4 of 10

Well, after a loooooooooooooong wait on the phone with customer services and then the representitive disappearing for 10 minutes to check, I have a green light to take them as hand luggage (with KLM anyway!). Now I just have to pray they don't kick up a stink at the actual airport (I will have something to say if they do)!!!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:21am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

I know someone who took one of Jennifer Dontz's gumpaste flower classes. She carefully packed them and when she went through security, they unpacked them and broke all of them. Don't think they have any respect for the time and art of beautiful sugar flowers.

Now you have worried me! That's awful, and what was their reasoning behind that?! I only have a day and a half before the party, so there is no way I could remake them icon_cry.gif . Maybe I should just pack them in my suitcase and pray they don't get crushed. The only thing the rep flagged up was customs at the UK end (as it's technically 'food'), but when I explained they were non-perishable and for decoration only she said that it would be fine.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:10pm
post #6 of 10

You should be fine, but it's not the airline that's the concern.

It's the TSA screening agent that you get when you put your carry-on on the conveyor belt. The individual agents vary greatly in what they insist on checking. I had one all but attack me over a blunt end spatula that would barely cut butter and I've had others who I know have let "questionable" items go thru without a second look.

I strongly suggest that you pack the flowers in toilet paper in a non-sealed cardboard box. Mark on the box, on the top and sides, "EXTREMELY FRAGILE HANDMADE SUGAR FLOWERS FOR MY MOTHER'S BIRTHDAY CAKE" and attach a PHOTO of what's inside, too. If an agent insists on looking inside, he/she won't allow you to touch the box, but calmly tell them that they are not replaceable and that they took dozens of hours to create by hand. If you have a "throw away" example, put it on the very top of the packed flowers so that they can see an example without rooting thru all of them.

HTH & best of luck!
Rae

MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 10

I decided I'm not going to take the chance of getting them confiscated, so I am double boxing them and posting them ahead of me tomorrow. All the heads have been loosely wrapped in cling wrap and the box padded out with bubble wrap. I'll then put them in a bigger box and pack that out with newspaper. Hopefully they will get there in one piece and in time!

crisrag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisrag Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 5:49am
post #8 of 10

Did someone here have successfully carried sugar flowers in the hand luggage? I'd like to take the flowers for my sister's wedding with me on an international flight, not on the suitcase

Muntic0re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muntic0re Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 8:13am
post #9 of 10

you will not have the problem with carrying such a luggage, it is allowed

EverAfter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverAfter Posted 14 Jul 2017 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 10

I travelled from the USA to Canada with a dummy cake filled with wired sugar flowers in my carry-on. It wasn't a problem. Maybe it is airline and country dependent though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%