A Question About Metallic Food Colour.....

Decorating By Abisnail Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 2:28am by Abisnail

Abisnail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abisnail Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone, this is my first post, thanks in advance for Reading!
I'm making a vintage tattoo theme cake this week and am thinking of putting images in gold filligree piped frames. My problem is that i've tried making metallic paints before with silver glitter and clear alcohol and it looked poop! Is there a gold cake spray I can buy that's effective? I could pipe in White royal icing then spray them, I think that's the best way. Anyone got any better ideas? Thanks guys, great site! I can't believe how skilled you all are, I'm so inspred by the pics in the galleries! Abi x

12 replies
hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 13

I've found if I mix more of the gold highlighter than the liquid it's a more metallic color of what I'm looking for. Before I found it too runny and I hated it. Just play with it some. But I'd start with more color less liquid icon_smile.gif Hope it helps!

Abisnail Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 13

Ah ok, maybe i made it too thin before. I just didn't get on with it at all! I'll have another go tomorrow. Thank you!

hbarberycakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 13

I hope it helps =)

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #5 of 13

I mix my gold color with clear piping gel, it seems to work better for me that way than just with alcohol. I brush it on in a very light coat and then wait for it to dry and do a couple more coats.

hope that helps icon_smile.gif

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 12:16am
post #6 of 13

Also, I think PME makes a gold color food spray but I haven't tried it yet. I think global sugar art . com has it. Maybe some else who has tried it can tell us if they like it?

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 13

I second hbarberycakes' suggestion. When I do it, I dip the brush into the alcohol first and get about a drop on the brush then dip it in the gold powder and brush it over. Each dip only covers a small amount but it does look good.
If you are using royal icing make sure it is very set before you try painting it or even a small amount of pressure will damage it (learned the hard way!)

Alternatively there are silver and gold sprays available in the UK but I think it is recommended to tint the icing underneath it first (grey or yellowish) to help the spray along. I haven't used them though.

Abisnail Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 13

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I tried actually mixing the 2 In a pot before and it looked rubbish! I just couldn't get the mix right. Your way makes much more sense! I think I'll make the frames tonight, quite excited about it. I love trying out new techniques, never done anything like this before. I got the idea from an 'Ace of Cakes' cake.

hbarberycakes Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 13

I'll have to try the piping gel too! I haven't heard of that. Has anyone tried the Duff silver spray? I'm trying to find out if it's metallic or matte color. I need a metallic and I was going to buy it if it will save me time rather than painting. But if it's a dull silver I won't bother.

robbemorka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robbemorka Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:54pm
post #10 of 13

I'm using sugarflair edible lustre dust in gold, mixing it with just a tiny amount of alcohol. after painting the fondant with it, I put on some more lustre dust (without the alc) with a big brush to give it more of a metallic shine. works for me. icon_smile.gif

Abisnail Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #11 of 13

Ah ok, cool. Can I use the same technique on royal icing d'ya think?

hbarberycakes Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 2:32am
post #12 of 13

You can, but just make sure the RI is very firm and set so it doesn't turn into mush!

Abisnail Posted 18 Feb 2011 , 2:28am
post #13 of 13

Thanks for all your help guys. I am soooo pleased with the effect I got...not so happy with the cake but I'll put some pics up when it's finished.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%