Mousse Filling

Decorating By graciesj Updated 18 Feb 2011 , 12:31am by graciesj

graciesj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
graciesj Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 35

I have an order for a mousse filled cake. I've never made a mousse before and I have been reading that an eggless mousse is better then one made with eggs. Is this true? Also the customer will pick up a day before the party and am wondering if it needs to be refrigerated or not? Yes the cake will be covered in fondant. Anyone? thank-you gracieicon_smile.gif

34 replies
graciesj Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 35

So is it true that an eggless mousse will hold up better to a 3 layered cake then one made with eggs? Also, I might have the customer pick it up saturday afternoon. And her party's on Sunday afternoon. Will the cake be okay left out for so long? anyone?

graciesj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 35

How come no one is willing to help? I'm confusedicon_sad.gif normally, I have great feed back! icon_sad.gif((((

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 35

I always use a mousse without eggs and it holds up great. I put it in the refrigerator. What kind of mousse are you making?

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 35

What flavor mousse?

graciesj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 35

thank-you ladies:
I got a recipe from ALLRECIPE.COM for a chocolate mousse. It's, 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and melted chocolate(1ounce), 1.2 water, 1 package of instant pudding. It says to allow this mixture to cool. then to fold in the whipped cream and stabilizer. then to let cool again.

then from "betty crocker.com"

1 1/2 cups of chocolate
1/3 cup whipped cream
3 tablespoons sugar

thèse don't ask for eggs that's y I went with them. would do you lovely think?

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 35

I would use the first recipe, it is very similar to the one I use and it holds up great.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 5:48pm
post #8 of 35

The whimsical bakehouse mousse is just whipped cream with flavouring in it, it's pretty yummy

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 35

whipped cream w pudding mix is what i do, everyone loves it!

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 35

I use:

1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 small box of instant pudding in a complimenting flavor

It's delicious! It stands up amazingly well. I had my doubts at first, but I was proven wrong.

HTH

zespri Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 35

how long do these whipped cream fillings last? And do they have to be kept in the fridge? Once they are out of the fridge at the party, how long can they sit out at room temperature?

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:00pm
post #12 of 35

i use this http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7594/great-chocolate-mousse recipe and its perfect every time!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:34pm
post #13 of 35

I just make sweetened whipped cream and fold in some ganache. Makes an easy and very yummy chocolate mousse.

For vanilla or flavored I buy the mousse mix at the grocery store, and use half and half cream with it, and then add vanilla beans or raspberry puree or whatever else.

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 35

My mousse contains eggs. I've never had a problem with it. I make it pretty thick, so it's firm, almost like icecream.

graciesj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 35

I so appreciate all the feed back. It's just I don't have room for error. So If the customer picks the cake up sat afternoon, can she leave it out until the party on Sunday afternoon? The cake will be covered in fondant. So what you ladies are saying is it's okay for it to stay out for 24hrs and some? I do have my doubts if the recipe calls for eggsicon_sad.gif I dunnoicon_smile.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 35

ok...i see that no one has addressed the "leave it out" issue. i personally would refrigerate it. if it calls for eggs, it needs to be in the fridge so they won't spoil. whipped cream (either homewhipped or frozen tub whipped) will separate if it is left out too long. then you would have a breakdown of the cake from being too soggy.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:24pm
post #17 of 35

graciesj, I think you need to refrigerate it if it has dairy.

Here's another thread that I just found when I went to look for a mousse that doesn't need refrigeration. Hopefully it can help you.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6531007-.html&sid=3d3dc028c5db2ab83be79e13084a56c6

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 11:25pm
post #18 of 35

Heaven's No.... that's way to long for any cake with dairy fillings to stay out. Needs to be put back in the fridge, and she can take it out a few hrs before the party, so it's easier to cut into.

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:04am
post #19 of 35

i would treat it the way you would treat an ice cream cake...if the ice cream would melt or be mushy at the length you would have it out, then leave it in the fridge...my thinking...

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:36am
post #20 of 35

I use the Buddy Valastro's recipe for chocolate mousse. Everyone loves it, says it's amazing. Basically it's just heavy whipping cream, cocoa powder and sugar whipped together until it's the consistency you want.

It's so yummy on cake and amazing by itself with berries as well.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #21 of 35

I thougt that cakes covered with fondant cant be kept in the fridge. Am i wrong?

zespri Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 3:50am
post #22 of 35

It's personal preference. The fridge won't harm the fondant, some people believe it is bad for the cakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

I thougt that cakes covered with fondant cant be kept in the fridge. Am i wrong?

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:00am
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

I have put all of my cakes in the fridge - I've never had any problems with fondant.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:51am
post #24 of 35

I too use a similar recipe...the eagle brand easy mousse. I have left my cakes out with this mousse and covered in fondant for a 4 to 5 hr party but never longer than that. And I too have always refrigerated my fondant covered cakes. But I make my own mmf. I hear the store bought fondants don't hold up well with the condensation that can occur in the fridge. Hope this helps

Way2Go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Way2Go Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:00pm
post #25 of 35

I did a quick mousse for a cake I recently made. I used heavy cream of course, and just added about 3 tblsp of a berry flavored jello. It was very good. I paired that with a chocolate cake covered in chocolate ganache.

graciesj Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 1:04am
post #26 of 35

Alright ladies, I have found another recipe and I think i'm going for it. Here is the recipe, can you lovely ladies give me your opinion?
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
5 " hot water
7 ounces chocolate
1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 tsp salt

so what do you think? should I go with this one or the first one I wrote about? thank-you

graciesj Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:46pm
post #27 of 35

Honestly, some advice would be helpfulicon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 2:58pm
post #28 of 35

Well aside from the fact that I assume you work from home so you really technically can't offer a cake with mousse filling for sale... those pesky HD regulations and all.

The recipe you just posted would work more than fine and you MUST keep it chilled or a. it could spoil and b. it would most likely break down as it came to room temp and your cake would slip slide all over the place.

graciesj Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #29 of 35

Thank-you lmblicon_smile.gif For this in particular cake I have to use a pre-made black fondant by satin ice. Would my customer have any issues putting it in her fridge? Her party is not until sunday. anyone?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 5:06pm
post #30 of 35

No... there should be no problem at all. I put all of my cakes in the fridge. It makes them nice and sturdy for transport and keeps them out of the line of lint and what-not. I use SI black fondant as well and have never had a problem upon taking them from the fridge.

=]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%