Disinflated Cupcakes!!!!

Baking By baking4life Updated 17 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm by cldault

baking4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baking4life Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 16

So just a few minutes ago I took out my lemon cupcakes from the oven. They looked so beautiful and round inside Theo en and when I took them out. Then within two minutes I noticed that my cupcakes disinflated right in the center!!!! icon_cry.gif why did that happened?? Did I do something wrong? The same thing happened two days ago with my chocolate and yellow cupcakes too! Is there a reason why that happens right after I take them out of the oven?? Please help so I won't make the same mistake again.

15 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 16

Most often cakes and cupcakes deflate (or fall) because they are not done all the way. Are they testing done? You may need to cook them an additional min or two until completely done.

baking4life Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:49am
post #3 of 16

I tested them and the toothpick came out clean. I baked them in 22 mins. And they still got flat!

baking4life Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 2:54am
post #4 of 16

Can it be another reason? I baked them for 22-25 minutes. Sorry I know I said this already but I am so bum. Lucklily it's for family and I am not selling them.

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:49am
post #5 of 16

If it's not under cooking then you might try this method. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put your cupcakes in (center rack) close the door and reduce the heat down to 350 degrees and set your timer. I have never had a flat cupcake. It really works like a charm. The other thing may be your baking soda or powder is too old or the amount in the receipe is not correct. As I recall the test for that is to put it in water and if it doesn't fizzle it's too old.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 6:25am
post #6 of 16

is it a scratch recipe? maybe your baking soda/powder is old?

cldault Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cldault Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 16

Me, too, same problem. My baking powd is not outdated, I tried the 400 degree trick, my toothpick comes out clean... they still "deflate!" What now??

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 16

The same thing used to happen to me if I opened the oven door too soon (with scratch scakes). Could that be it? If not, like PP stated, maybe it is the amount of leavening in the recipe or uneven oven temp.

HTH and happy caking!! icon_biggrin.gif

Walls1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Walls1971 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 16

Maybe you are overbeating the batter and incorporating too much air?

cldault Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 16

I was extra careful today to mix batter until just combined. It's Martha Stewart's recipe for "Frosted Vanilla Cupcakes." I have another chocolate cupcake recipe that turns out perfectly domed every time... go figure! Would it help if I added about 1/2 t baking soda in addition to the baking powder. The flavor is very nice; I just wish they would stay risen!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:07pm
post #11 of 16

I'm not too sure who I'm answering this. But I just read recently that when this happens it is a structure thing. It means that there was not enough structure to hold up the tenderizing ingredients in the recipe.

Did you use AP when it called for cake flour? How did you measure your flour? How did you prepare the batter? All these things matter when baking.

If it happened after you took them out of the oven, then it is structure. If it happened before you took them out of the oven then it is the other problems stated here.

My guess it is not the leavening used. I know we all go to that first thing, but other things can contribute to fallen cupcakes.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 16

I know this won't help you at all, BUT when this happens to me - which is most of the time - I just take it as a sign from the Buttercream Gods and mound that sucker up high in the middle with extra buttercream. No one is the wiser and I never have to waste a cupcake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 16

Mine deflated last night and it was because they were not done. icon_cry.gif

I ended up sending Sam's Club cupcakes to school with my son!

LyndaOlsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LyndaOlsen Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #14 of 16

If the receipe calls only for baking powder, I would NOT suggest adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Baking soda will change the taste of the cupcake. Instead, assuming your baking powder is good then increase that amount of baking powder but only by a small amount (don't double it).

The receipe calls for both cake flour (not self-rising) and unbleached all-purpose flour so make sure you use both. Last, as suggested earlier make sure you measure them by using measuring cups that you can level off the top with a knife. That too makes all the difference. Baking is an exact science unlike basic cooking where you can use your glass measuring cups and say "Close Enough".

Last, if they're Martha Stewarts receipe, there's a place to post comments. I would ask her TEAM what they suggest. Good luck.

cldault Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:06pm
post #15 of 16

I don't know what recipe you looked at, but the recipe I have calls for 1 1/2 cups AP flour. I have tried to find this recipe on her website and couldn't. I printed it off her website back in 2008. Maybe this is why it's no longer on her website. HA! Can you post the link of the recipe you've looked at? I'd like to try it. Thanks!

cldault Posted 17 Feb 2011 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 16

Oh, my! I am such a happy baker! The MS recipe you sent, "Billy's", rose beautifully and stayed domed. Funny, I had that recipe printed off, too, but I don't why I hadn't tried it until now. I have to say, though, that I liked the flavor better in the "Frosted Van. Cupcakes", probably due to the sour cream added. But I think height outweighs flavor at this point.
Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%