Pre-Making Decorations For Side Of Round Cake

Decorating By zespri Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 1:44pm by dsilvest

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 8

How do you go about making fondant decorations ahead of time for round cakes? Obviously if you lay them flat, they will dry flat, and won't sit properly on the cake. I have thought about layin them on the side of the cake tin while they dry, but getting the cake tin to stay in one place is enough of a challenge.

How do other people do it?

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 8

Styrofoam dummies. If they don't stay in place, you can skewer them to another piece of foam.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 8

If you are talking about lace cut outs, I put them in zip lock bags, and they still have enough give in them to form to the side of the cake.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 8

I have just used my cake pan. I just wedged a little glob of extra fondant on each side of the pin to stop it from rolling across my counter.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 8

Pre make the decorations, place in a single layer on waxed paper (cover with waxed paper and add another layer, cover and so on) then place in a zip lock bag and place in the freezer. When you are ready to use them, take them out of the freezer and they will be pliable enough to form to the cake. These can be made weeks ahead of time.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 7:37am
post #6 of 8

all great ideas, thank you!! I don't have a cake dummy right now, but I will grab one next time I am shopping. Good idea about stopping the cake tin rolling kel.

I'm intrigued about the zip loc bags, cathyscakes: how long do they last like that before they harden? They don't melt in there? I want to make building sillouettes and lettering.

Diane: will baking paper do? I don't have any waxed paper handy. When you get them out of the freezer, how long do you leave them to defrost before applying them? Would I need to make sure they are completely defrosted first to avoid condensation?

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 8:13am
post #7 of 8

The ones I did I think I made up a month ahead of time. They did harden a bit, but were still pliable. They are easier to handle when they firm up. I put them in a single layer in a zip lock bag, and put them in a drawer out of the sunlight. Its the birds nest wedding cake I did in my pictures. It worked great.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 8

Baking paper should work. I don't let them defrost. They are ready to use right away. If you want, just take one sheet out of the freezer at a time to avoid the fondant becoming sticky. Once the air hits it, it will start to dry off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%