A Question On The Right Icing Consistence...

Baking By Creationsinspired Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 2:33am by drdm99

Creationsinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creationsinspired Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 3

I am a newbie to cake and cookie decorating. But, I am determined to make a cake and cookie favors for my son's communion this April.

I know how to bake from scratch but I just started taking classes in cake decorating. I wanted to ask how to prepared the icing for the base of the cookies. I'm looking to achieve that thin yet smooth base before decorating the cookies. Anytime I make it, it comes out runny and leaks off the cookies or it's too thick and i don't get that smooth glass-like base.

Is there a recipe I should follow to get the right consistence. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to do something special to celebrate my little man's day. I appreciate any guidance.

Thank you in advance.

2 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 3

For that smooth glass like base on your cookies, try royal icing.

drdm99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drdm99 Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 2:33am
post #3 of 3

Royal icing is the way to go. Make it a little thicker to outline the cookie and then gradually thin it out with water to use it to fill it in. If you outline the cookie first, it creates a dam so the thinner icing doesn't run over. If you thin it out too much, you can add a little powdered sugar to thicken it up again. Also, don't overbeat it and let it settle for a little bit (covered) so you don't get air bubbles.

Hope this helps with the cookie decorating and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%