Buttercream Help

Decorating By AKeck19 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 8:43pm by cabecakes

AKeck19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKeck19 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 5

i'm having a hard time determining what the difference between buttercream frosting and buttercream icing is (if there even is any) I'm looking for a recipe that will fill and crumb coat cakes that can either be left plain with the buttercream and then decorated or can be covered in fondant and taste good. vanilla and/or chocolate.

Anyone have any recipe recomendations...?

thank you!

4 replies
hch2k8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hch2k8 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 5

I think they are the same thing to be honest.. Or there may be a slight variation with the butter and icing sugar content icon_eek.gif

Here is a recipe that I use and you can change the vanilla to whatever flavour you choose.. (I use this buttercream in every cake I make. great for crumb coating, or under fondant or just on it's own.

Makes approx 350g(12oz) of buttercream

125g(4oz) butter
225g(8oz) icing sugar, sifted
few drops of vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons milk

chocolate variation... dissolve 1-2 tablespoons sifted cocoa powder in a little hot water to form a thin paste.. Allow to cool slightly before beating into the buttercream.

Put the butter in a bowl and cream until very soft.... Gradually beat in the icing sugar, adding vanilla to taste, and just enough milk to give a firm but spreadable consistency

Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

AKeck19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKeck19 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 5

thanks!! i'll write this down and try it out icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 5

some people make buttercream, using shortening only(still call it b/c?) some use butter and shortening(milk or water or half and half or whipping cream) very good. Some use butter only with milk or whipping cream ,etc. very good. Some make swiss meringue buttercream or italian meringue buttercream , which is all butter, but no powder sugar, milk , etc. So i guess we just all say buttercream . Some use the hi-ratio shortening, and not the crisco ( use by itself or with butter, etc.. /so, again, we just call it buttercream( filling and icing) hth you will see all those recipes on this site.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 5

If you want a crusting buttercream for that "fondant look", you might want to try Edna De La Cruz's recipe. It is pretty simple:

1/2 Cup Hi-Ratio Shortening (I use the generic shortening from Walmart that contains .5g transfat)
1/2 Cup Butter
1 Tbsp. Meringue Powder
1 teas. Clear Vanilla Extract (or flavor of choice)
4 Cups sifted Confectioner's Sugar
2 Tbsp. Milk

*Note: for whiter icing use 1 cup shortening and no butter then add 1/2 teas. clear butter flavoring

Cream together shortening and butter (softened). Add vanilla and milk. Gradually add sugar 1 cup at a time, beating on slow speed. Scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl often. Keep prepared icing covered with a damp towel until ready to use. DO NOT OVERWHIP as this will create air bubbles in the icing. You can also use coffee creamers for flavoring or combine extracts.

For thin spreading consistency: add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.

Apply to the cake and smooth using a spatula, let icing "crust" for a few minutes and then smooth out using a clean sheet of paper or a viva paper towel.

You can also use this for a crumbcoat and under fondant.

Or check out IndyDebi's Buttercream recipe on here as well. Both are good recipes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%