Which Specialty Equipment Is Most Useful?

Decorating By Bskinne Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 6:10am by cheatize

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 32

I would like to buy a new toy. What would you recommend? Edible images printer, Cricut, airbrush, etc...what's the most useful? Most versatile? FYI, I work primarily with fondant, if that makes a difference. Where can I find the best deals? (I'd love to buy more than one thing, lol!)

31 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 32

I love my cricut! Paired with Make The Cut software no need for all those expensive cartridges. I also love my edible image printer but don't use it as much as the cricut. The airbrush is also useful at times but doesn't get used nearly as much.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 32

I have an ei printer, had a circuit (and hated it) and have an airbrush that I love. If I had to pick one it would be an airbrush. I use it more than I thought I would.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 32

The cricut takes patience and practice. If you follow Linda's instructions to the "T" you will have great success. Check out her blogspot.

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 32

Im crazy in love with my airbrush! stenciling, adding depth to 3d cake, changing the entire color of a cake. After some practice you can do portraits and landscapes to make a boring sheet cake a work of art!

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 32

BTW I got mine on ebay for $50.00 it was used and a industrial bakery had it but it's still goingicon_smile.gif
Also if you google Orlando Serrano/ air brush tutorial you'll find a number of free tutorials.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:05pm
post #7 of 32

I also cut stencils with my cricut icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 32

I have Linda's DVD, but it really never helped me to get my circuit to work. I struggled with it for hours, and with 4 kids I just didn't have the time to afford to figuring it out. That said, I still wish I would've had better luck with it! I love some of the cakes done with it!

Bskinne Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 32

You guys aren't helping, lol! icon_wink.gif
I think my top two choices would be the airbrush and the cricut. I can take an airbrush class at a specialty store and they give a discount on the airbrush. Maybe I should just get both, if I can sneak it past DH! icon_biggrin.gif

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 32

I have the mini cricut cake and I love it.. use it all the time. I would like to try the make a cut software with it but was not sure if I could justify the expense but the cartridges for the cricut are expensive too.. so ... maybe I will research that some more.. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 32

The DVDs alone don't show you enough, check out her blogspot for step by step instructions. If you ever get a chance to take her class it's awsome.

Bskinne Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 32

I just looked at Make A Cut, and it's $59, while the first cartridge I pulled up was $70? And I can create anything with Make A Cut, right? Do you create your images on there or can you import from another program, like Illustrator? Sorry, I don't know that much about the Cricut other than the final result...and their website isn't all that informative.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 32

If it helps with your decision, to my understanding, unless you do edible images fairly often a printer would not be the best use of your funds. You have to use the printer often enough to keep the inks working properly.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I would like to buy a new toy. What would you recommend? Edible images printer, , airbrush, etc...what's the most useful? Most versatile? FYI, I work primarily with fondant, if that makes a difference. Where can I find the best deals? (I'd love to buy more than one thing, lol!)

I personally am thinking of hiring a pool boy. One that will also do dishes!

I'm sorry, I just had to throw that in...... I don't have any of the big guns. I'm just a hobby baker right now, but sllllloooowwwlly working my way into the fast lane. My wish list is to get them all. So I will be watching this post. Sorry to hi-jack........ Amy icon_biggrin.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 32

The hubs got me an airbrush for christmas but haven't used it yet! I have to figure it out first. LOL!

Bskinne Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Quote:

I would like to buy a new toy. What would you recommend? Edible images printer, , airbrush, etc...what's the most useful? Most versatile? FYI, I work primarily with fondant, if that makes a difference. Where can I find the best deals? (I'd love to buy more than one thing, lol!)

I'm sorry, I just had to throw that in....

Lol, do you know where I can get a good deal on that? Actually, between DH, a two year old boy, and another boy due in 3 months, I'm safer sticking with a cake toy vs. more testosterone, lol. icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 32

You can scan images or import from anywhere to make the cut and use it on the cricut.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:19pm
post #18 of 32

Do you have an Agbay? If not I would put that at the top of the list. My kitchen aide pasta roller is next. I do not have air brush yet but the mess kind of scares meicon_smile.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:48pm
post #19 of 32

I have a edible printer & cricut, but do noy use either all that fequently,. I really want an airbrush though I think I would use it more often with the cake orders I tend to get (Mostly weddings)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:57pm
post #20 of 32

If I could only afford one high quality cake toy, I'd buy an Agbay. You will use it on every cake.

I have the Cricut (hate it), edible printer (broke over a year ago and I didn't replace it) and an airbrush (recently got it back from the repair shop, again.)

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:00pm
post #21 of 32

Leah
What brand air brush do you have? Do you know if any are better than others as far as releability is concerned?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 7:41pm
post #22 of 32

Things I can't LIVE without:
Agbay
Motorized pasta machine
Stress Free Supports
Edible Image printer
Silicone from Makeyourownmolds.com
Airbrush

Bskinne Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:04pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Things I can't LIVE without:
Agbay
Motorized pasta machine
Stress Free Supports
Edible Image printer
Silicone from Makeyourownmolds.com
Airbrush

In that order?
Sounds like my dream list, btw! thumbs_up.gif
I just left the cake store (going to try my first attempt at poured sugar jewels) and stared longingly at the Cricut...but still don't know what to get. I'm not doing a whole lot of cakes, so this would be a huge hobby investment. So, I want to make sure I get something that has as many practical applications as possible. And, though I WAS between a cricut and airbrush, now ya gotta throw Agbay in there! icon_wink.gif How about some pros/cons of the Agbay?
Thanks for all the suggestions!

leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:22pm
post #24 of 32

Agbay pros:
cuts perfectly every time
stays sharp
cuts through choc chips, nuts cleanly
company is TOTALLY committed to customer service

Agbay cons:
it's sharp. If you're not careful, you'll cut yourself.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:23pm
post #25 of 32

Agbay Pros:
1. Sharp blade will not shred your cake.
2. Stiff blade will not bow or bend.
3. Handy measuring rulers on each side.
4. Easy to clean with the cleaning tool.
5. Excellent customer service from Maureen Agbay, the inventor.

Agbay Cons:
1. You didn't buy it sooner.

leah_s Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:24pm
post #26 of 32

[quote="AmysCakesNCandies"]Leah
What brand air brush do you have? Do you know if any are better than others as far as releability is concerned?[/quote]

I have a top of the line system ($$$$$) Paasche double action airbrush, Iwata Smart Jet Compressor. DH bought it for me.

tiggy2 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:33pm
post #27 of 32

The Aztek A470 is also a very good double action airbrush and is the one Roland Winbeckler recommended. No needle to bend or take apart to clean. It has different nozzles for different spray patterns.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Quote:

I'm sorry, I just had to throw that in....

Lol, do you know where I can get a good deal on that? Actually, between DH, a two year old boy, and another boy due in 3 months, I'm safer sticking with a cake toy vs. more testosterone, lol. icon_wink.gif

Alas, the pool is looking pretty poorly right now. So you should probably stay with what you've got. I always wanted a boy (I have three daughters) I ended up with a 55 year old one. (you know the old saying, "be careful what you wish for!")

After reading all these ideas, I think I'm saving the the agbay. BTW, I do have a silloutte. Just bought, haven't tried it yet.

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 8:56pm
post #29 of 32

Definitely my cricut with Make the Cut. Makes pulling any image off the internet easy to cut out and put on the cake. Second would be my airbrush, have used it much more than I ever imagined.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 1:33am
post #30 of 32

My DH bought me an airbrush (a super nice one that came with 24 airbrush colors and 2 airbrushes) and a macro lens for me for Christmas. I still have to figure out the airbrush.

I recently worked over 80 hours of overtime and decided I was going to treat myself because I have a lot of trouble leveling my cakes. So I sent for the Agbay. I literally sliced a perfect 1/4 inch slice of cake off the top of a cake I made just to try it out. I have a funny feeling it is going to be my new favorite toy AND the most used.

If you want something that will get used EVERY time you make a cake, I would have to say the Agbay cake leveler. I don't think there is anything else that you could buy that you will get more use from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%