Kicking Myself

Decorating By AmysCakesNCandies Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 12:05am by jenmat

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:15am
post #1 of 5

Had a bridal consult today and sketched out a really cool art deco design that the bride loved, she was so excited about it and i guess I kind of got wrapped up in her excitement. When she asked if she could have a copy of the design to show her fiance I made her one. Don't know why I did it, I know better! She left with an unsigned contract because she had another consult this afternoon and I was her first cake asting. Now I'm paranoid that she is shopping around my custom design. Uhg! How could I be so stupid!

4 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 3:39am
post #2 of 5

Oh no! so sorry. You'll have to put a sticky note on your copier "CONTRACT SIGNED?"

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 5

Sad thing is, even if you had signed it the other baker would still probably do it. Not something I would ever do--I feel there needs to be integrity amongst cake artist, but I do find it happening more often that I would like

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

Sad thing is, even if you had signed it the other baker would still probably do it. Not something I would ever do--I feel there needs to be integrity amongst cake artist, but I do find it happening more often that I would like

Agreed, it is unfortunate but it becoming more common. I have had brides get a quote from me, call around and then call me back with a quote from another place and ask me to beat it.. I always say, sorry but my prices are non-negotiable. I am already reasonably priced in my market and I refuse to intentionally undercut another caker just to get business. I'd ratther be able to feel good about myself & my business practices.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 12:05am
post #5 of 5

I went through that- fortunately for me they came back and booked. Now I have a tasting guidline letter that goes out, and one of the guidelines that this is a cake tasting only, and only minimal design ideas will be discussed for pricing quote purposes. I even say "do not expect to leave the tasting with a sketch in-hand, as this will be accomplished once you are booked with us."

Hopefully they will appreciate how creative you are and they will come back to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%