How Do I Get Rkt To Stick To The Pvc And Not To My Hands?!

Decorating By Manderly42 Updated 22 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm by Manderly42

Manderly42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Manderly42 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:37am
post #1 of 14

I am using store bought RKT and trying to mold it onto a PVC armature. I can't get it to stick to the PVC, but it sure sticks to my hands really well!!

Any suggestions? I was thinking I could use either cornstarch or 10x sugar for my hands, but have no clue how to make it stick to the PVC!!

TIA!!

13 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:40am
post #2 of 14

corn syrup?

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 14

Put a light coat of crisco on your hands and make sure the RCT is warm.

Manderly42 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mareg

Put a light coat of crisco on your hands and make sure the RCT is warm.

So, I should grease my hands instead of powder them? Okay, I can see how that might actually work better... And the warmth of the RKT will help adhere to the PVC? Even if they are the pre-made/store bought?

THANKS!

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:51am
post #5 of 14

I applied a thin layer of royal icing on the pvc and keep a bowl of water to kind of keep my hands dampened icon_smile.gif rkt hates water icon_smile.gif HTH!

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:15am
post #6 of 14

I spray my hands with cooking oil, start with warm RKT, mash the RKT onto the PVC, wrap it TIGHT in aluminum foil & stick it in the fridge for about 10 minutes. HTH!

mareg Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:40am
post #7 of 14

Manderly, Yes I had to make it stick to a wilton pilar and that is what worked for me. Good luck.

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 4:58am
post #8 of 14

rub a ton of crisco on your hands! works like a charm =D and maybe "frost" the pvc?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:09am
post #9 of 14

I remember my "Ohhhhhhhhhh!" moment when making RKTs! I had the mixture ready and the pan all buttered and was trying to get it in the pan. i couldn't get it to stay in the pan and I couldn't get it OFF of my hands! I looked at my sticky hands ..... then at the buttered pan ..... then at my unbuttered hands .... then at the buttered pan ..... then the light bulb went off as i said, "OHHHHHHhhhhhhh! I get it!" icon_redface.gif

Buttered my hands and bing bang boom, all done!

mareg Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 5:12am
post #10 of 14

Manderly, Yes I had to make it stick to a wilton pilar and that is what worked for me. Good luck.

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 6:05am
post #11 of 14

I actually covered my PVC with plastic wrap and the rkt adhered it fairly well. I added melted white chocolate to keep it all together and chilled it and it worked... But we won't talk about the 3 previously failed attempts! Lol

Manderly42 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 1:59pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you, everyone! I'll post pictures when I finish!!!

mareg Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:14pm
post #13 of 14

Lol. Indydebi. icon_smile.gif

Manderly42 Posted 22 Feb 2011 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 14

Okay - Thank you all for your excellent advice! I coated the PVC in chocolate and kept a bowl of water to wet my hands as sweetnessx3 suggested and it worked like a charm!! I have built my Godzilla and now have to cover it with fondant! YAY!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%