Using Playdoh Molds - Help!

Decorating By shell2633 Updated 12 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm by Alfiesmom

shell2633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell2633 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 9

OK< this may sound stupid but I am new to cake decorating and have limited access to cake supply stores. I am making a monkey cake (well, actually, 2 cakes for twins). The mom wants one similar to one she saw on here. It has trees and banana leaves which are no problem since I can cut them out with my cricut cake. But it has a monkey on top and 3d bananas. I am not the greatest with modeling things from fondant or gumpaste. But my son has a TON of playdoh stuff, and there is a perfect monkey and banana mold in there. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this. Any help is appreciated.

8 replies
SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 9

if u want to use the molds id say they'd work, just dust with cornstarch to make sure nothing sticks, if u do want to try making models/figurines there are some awesome tutorials out there, they take the intimidation out of something like that. you tube has some good ones. Good luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 9

Sure! Clean it well first, of course. You may need to give the mold a VERY light coat of shortening or sprinkle with cornstarch.

If it's a deep mold, you may need to pop it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before unmolding.

lynn1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynn1968 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 9

i'm wondering if i can do the same thing with ceramic moulds. there are tons of 'em out there and if you can come up with the cash you can snag tons of 'em fairly cheap. i don't reckon a ceramic mould would be toxic, or would it?

SugarandSpice3674 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarandSpice3674 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 7:31am
post #5 of 9

hmm, well they are putting ceramic (on the inside) nonstick cookware out there now, but not sure if its the same thing, you could ask the store that sells them? now u got me eyeing up the kids' play doh molds lol! guess it'll be one more thing to add to my list of stuff to look around for siiiiggghhh, $cake making addiction can sure add up tho$ icon_smile.gif

shell2633 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell2633 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone! I used the playdoh molds and they look great, only problem was a little sticking like was mentioned. But they have such great detail, my son has a jungle playdoh set and the bananas monkey and pineapples came out better than I would have hoped!

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 9

It's funny reading this thread as only yesterday I had pinched the moulds out my daughters disney princess shaker maker and was squashing fondant into it lol

It was quite good as well so they could possibly be done in white fondant and then painting the details on when dried. icon_biggrin.gif

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 9

Hmm, I would have never thought to use Playdoh molds. icon_smile.gif I did think of using play doh to practice molding though.

Great idea!!

Christy

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 12 Feb 2011 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 9

I use alot of Playdoh tools - little cutting & shaping knives and block letters. I find them easier than tappits!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%