Baking Chemists! Question And Opinion About Recipe

Decorating By FromScratchSF Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 10:15pm by bakingpw

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 2

Ladies! Fellow chemists!

Last night I was watching Throwdown and Bobby did mini cupcakes. I normally stay away from his baked goods because he's not a baker, but this recipe intrigued me, especially since he won with it. It's a white cake but what's crazy to me is it calls for MELTED butter and oil, it has a lot of eggs & sugar, it's reverse creaming yet also has folded in meringue. icon_eek.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/mini-vanilla-bean-yellow-cupcakes-with-creamy-chocolate-frosting-recipe/index.html

What do you think? I've converted it to ounces to make a small test batch today, but this seems to have everything but the kitchen sink thrown in to make it moist! I've never seen a white cake recipe with melted butter... man that would tots solve my "is my butter too cold/warm" issue every time I make my white cake!

Jen

1 reply
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 2

I have for years used melted butter in one of my vanilla cake recipes - others call for butter to be creamed with sugar. In BF's recipe he is using oil and melted butter so he gets the moisture effect of the oil but also the flavor that the butter imparts. I'm not saying you can do this in every recipe - in this one it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%