What Do You All Think Of This Idea...send Emails?

Business By Kiddiekakes Updated 14 Feb 2011 , 7:39am by tinygoose

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 7

I use a free mailing service called Mail Chimp to send out emails/flyers etc...I was thinking since business is slow and the economies in both Canada and the US are suffering I would send out a email to all my customers letting them know that a custom cake is not out of their reach budget wise etc..Well not wording it like that but a clever way to say "Hey....order from me I am not as expensive as you think"...I have had 2 regular customers this week not order from me cause they say they can't afford it...one even wanted me to price match to Walmart superstore for a cupcake cake...the other just plain was being stupid in asking me...No Telling me that I was gonna do a cake for her for 30-40 people for $50.00 bucks...Ahhhh NO!!

People are scared to spend money..I get that but really some of the prices at the grocery stores here are not cheap either...A decopac 3D cake at our local store is $70.00..

Should I send out a email trying to educate/convince them to order from me and not the grocery store? Is this tacky!

I'm trying to save my customer base...Some are just plain not ordering at all.I want them to know I can work within their means (Within reason) and still have a great custom cake!

any ideas on how to word it?

6 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I think this could be a good way to advertise, but maybe you should just add pics of your cakes, how many servings and the price. People will remember pics and prices better than just text, and they can see your work and be reminded how much better your cake are compared to grocery store cakes.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 7

Hmm..Thati s a good idea Sorelle...Pictures do sell....I'll have to add some pics of my in expensive cakes I offer...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 7

If your existing customer base is comparing you to Walmart, you will probably be better off targeting new markets instead of reaching out to your existing customers.

Corrie76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Corrie76 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 7

I have to agree with Jason on his point...and also too, if you are already struggling with clients wanting to low-ball you on prices, why would you want to send them information that hints that you may be more reasonably priced than they think?
I do think sending out a monthly e-mail or news letter is a great idea, but I would focus on things like recent pictures of cakes, exciting new flavors, maybe a blurb about the quality of your ingredients etc..etc.. ya know just stuff to peak their interest and give them a little monthly reminder that you're there for their cake needs.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 6:08am
post #6 of 7

How about marketing (email) a "gourmet home evening" thing... Like, "surprise the family with a quickie take home bucket of chicken, topped off with a gourmet ________ cake. Enjoy the decadence of ___ cake, luscious like those served at fine dining restaurants for $6 a slice, for your family and friends.... This weeks special- a rich 6" two layer ______ cake filled with_____ and topped with______. Serving 6. $____. Next weeks' special, _____. "

I just wonder if marketing to smaller events, offering ONE special, baked in bulk, would work? Gets the product out there, and simple. I read here on CC how "sheet cakes" were looked down on, yet one baker cranked them out in 15 minutes and made $$$ doing it.

If you could get a few orders, and keep people thinking about cake!

Just a thought...

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 14 Feb 2011 , 7:39am
post #7 of 7

I would also do an ad with pictures of some less expensive cake options. Perhaps 3 different 8" fondant or buttercream cakes. One with bright fondant dots, one with a simple elegant flower, one with pastels. That hits the kids birthdays, baby showers, and adult bday or anniversary w/o being custom. Put them all at the same price.

This could be your budget line....tagline it as....Spring Cake Special~ Order Early. (add disclaimer in small type...design changes at additional cost, flavor choice of _____ or _____., etc, etc) I would also add a coupon for a free cupcake to get them in the door if you have such a bakery, or a 10% off all other cake items, excluding weddings. Something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%