Proper Storage Of Cakes With Perishable Fillings

Decorating By Punkykg Updated 11 Feb 2011 , 3:03pm by LuLu0426

Punkykg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Punkykg Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 3

I need advice on how to store my fondant covered cakes that have perishable fillings in them. From my understanding, if you refridgerate the cake, condensation will form once the cake is taken out, and possibly destroy the fondant and the decorations. I'm worried about keeping my cakes out at room temperature with things like mousse, cream cheese, or jam fillings in the cake. Will the fondant preserve these fillings for a couple days if I leave it out of the fridge? Will I destroy my cakes by putting them in the fridge?

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 3

Putting cakes in the fridge and taking them out repeatedly is not a particularly good idea. The refrigeraor tends to dry out cake, especially after it's cut and yes, condensation will form on the fondant. Frankly, in all my years of caking (50) I've never used a perishable filling that needed refrigerating.

LuLu0426 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuLu0426 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 3

I always wrap the cakes really good if I'm putting them in the fridge and then when I take them out I let it come to room temp before I unwrap it. The colder the cake is when you unwrap it the more condensation will appear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%