One Batter, Multiple Flavors??

Baking By chrisviz Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 1:54am by chrisviz

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 4

I hope I can describe what I mean clearly. I am going to do a dessert bar for my daughters graduation. I want to a variety of mini cupcakes... but instead of making whole batches of different flavors, I am wondering if anyone has any suggestion on how to take a basic batter (say a white WASC) and divi it up and make multiple flavors?

3 replies
chrisviz Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:28am
post #2 of 4

I guess I should clarify a little so I dont sound completely dense. I am sure a simple answer would be to add whatever flavoring you want. But I guess what I mean would be what would be best without changing consistency. For example, if I wanted to make a portion of it chocolate, would unsweetened cocoa powder be best? Would stiring in lemon curd for lemon flavor change the consitency? Am I answering my own questions ?? lol icon_smile.gif

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 12:47am
post #3 of 4

I do this often, especially for tastings.

I mix up my batter leaving out some of the measured liquid (and remember how much you left out). I divide my batter by how ever many flavorings I want to use (usually not more than three or four per mix). I divide the amount of missing liquid by that same number. i add the flavorings into each batter using the divided missing liquid measure.

Wa-La! I get 4 different flavors 4" rounds for a tasting and only used 1 mix.

I never do this with chocolate though. Chocolate cake needs to be CHOCOLATE. Adding a little bit into a white mix just wouldn't cut it. I don't think so anyway. Not really sure since I've never done it.

chrisviz Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 1:54am
post #4 of 4

Thanks TryingCake... I appreciate the input! And you are right about Chocolate....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%