Black Forest Cake

Baking By kmdrysdale Updated 16 Feb 2011 , 12:12pm by Jennifer353

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am looking for a recipe that i would be able to decorate, My father in law's birthday is coming up and this is his favorite kind he normally just has it with the whipped topping but this is his 65th BD and i am thinking of making a special cake for him but keep the flavors he likes. Is this possible? I hope this is not that much of a newbie question but I did search but just find all the recipes show you how to put it together. Hoping i make some kind of sense LOLicon_smile.gif

6 replies
kmdrysdale Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 7

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 7

I've only made the traditional recipe with whipped cream on top with some chocolate curls, but I have seen Black Forest Cherry cakes in supermarket bakeries that do not have the whipped cream (due, I think, to having to refrigerate it). Here are my thoughts:

Make the cake as usual, with cherries and whipped cream between layers and kirsch (cherry liquer) brushed on the cake layers.

Then, instead of frosting the top or the whole thing with whipped cream, just use a different kind of frosting, such as buttercream, boiled meringue (my family calls this 7-minute frosting) which can be piped (could do scrolls and borders but it probably is too soft for flowers or other 3-D items), fondant, perhaps even cream cheese frosting, etc.

I should think any frosting could be flavored with cherry extract, if you want that flavor in the frosting. I think it is clear, so the frosting would still be white. (I suppose you could just use the kirsch.) Or you could flavor it with chocolate, or both: e.g., cover the cake with chocolate ganache and then cherry-flavored frosting to get both the chocolate and cherry flavors.

Hope that helps.

Shanter

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with Shanter - but my icing for Black Forest is a combo of whip cream, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. And maybe that is what Shanter is speaking of.

Just assemble as normal and then use buttercream for top and sides.

Good Luck! T

kmdrysdale Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 7

I will give it a try and hope it works outicon_smile.gif
Thanks again

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Feb 2011 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

I agree with Shanter - but my icing for Black Forest is a combo of whip cream, cream cheese, and powdered sugar. And maybe that is what Shanter is speaking of.

If you're talking about the 7-minute frosting, here is a recipe It is not mine because I'm at work. (Don't tell my boss.) I don't think my recipe has the light corn syrup but the rest of it looks the same. All done in a double boiler:

Seven Minute Frosting I
Ingredients
2 egg whites
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/3 cup cold water
1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( or other flavor)
color if desired

Directions
Put egg whites, sugar, water and syrup in top of double boiler. Beat until mixed well. Place over rapidly boiling water. Beat constantly with electric beater while it cooks for 7 minutes or until it will stand in peaks when beater is raised. Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Beat. Fills and frosts 2 layer cake, 8 or 9 inch.

Shanter

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 16 Feb 2011 , 12:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

e.g., cover the cake with chocolate ganache and then cherry-flavored frosting to get both the chocolate and cherry flavors.

Nothing constructive to say because I have only made the traditional one too but just wanted to say YUMMM to the sound of Shanter's suggestion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%