Cake Making And Decorating Time Schedule Help Please!

Decorating By Mamerpp Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm by pmarks0

Mamerpp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamerpp Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 4

Hi would love some advice as only just getting into cake making and decorating and loving it!!

Im making a cake for a going away party that is on next Wednesday. Unfortunately Im away or working a lot in the days before which is making it difficult.

Is the following timetable ok:

Thursday of this week - make figure for cake topper from fondant mixed with tylo. Do I store in airtight box or cardboard box? Wouldt it be too soon to make the letters now too?

Sunday - make cake using Lindy Smiths Chocolate cake recipe which she says lasts for 2 weeks (1 week to decorate and 2 to eat)

Monday night - split cake, fill and cover with buttercream, cover with fondant, cover cake board.

Wednesday afternoon - Assemble cake on board and stick on cake topper, other decorations and put letters onto the board.

Party is Wednesday night.

Does this sound ok? Wish it wasn't so spread out but what do you think?

Thanks so much

3 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds reasonable to me.

If you're making fondant/tylose figures and numbers (or using gumpaste), the earlier you start them the longer they'll have to dry so a week in advance is good. I don't even box them while drying, and let them sit out. Someone else can say if they do otherwise.

As for baking, I had two cakes due last week and I work a 40 hour week as well. I had one due Tuesday evening and the other due Friday morning. I baked both cakes on Sunday. I wrapped and froze the one I needed for Friday, and the one for Tuesday I torted, filled and crumb coated on Sunday. Monday I finished icing and decorating it and then because delivery was for 6pm, took it in the car with me to work and left it there (I's really cold her) for the day and delivered after work.

The second cake I took out of the freezer on Wednesday and torte, filled and crumb coated. Then I finished icing and decorating it Thursday evening and took it to work again Friday because it was for someone from the office. This one had a gumpaste figure and a RKT car on it (it's the bridal shower cake in my pics) and I had made them a week earlier so they could dry.

Are you unavailable Tuesday evening? I ask because I would torte, fill and crumb coat and let that settle before coverining with fondant.

Mamerpp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamerpp Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much for your quick reply. So glad you think it sounds ok. Yes unfortunately Im away all day and night on the Tuesday. Hopefully it'll work out ok! Thanks again.

Ps looked at your cakes and they are fabulous!!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%