Georgia Home Bakers

Business By ChRiStY_71 Updated 10 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm by Kpow

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am considering putting a commercial kitchen in my basement. It is 1,100 square feet,fully finshed, walkout basement. It already has plumbing...a full bathroom...all I would have to do is convert one of the rooms into a kitchen. I would only need to buy equipmnet...my husband can provide the labor.

I have looked on the Dept of Agriculture's website for information and there is just not much out there. Has anyone else had success getting their home based kitchen licensed? Right now I only do cakes for close friends and family and I don't charge for them. It is getting to be an expensive and time consuming hobby! More and more people are asking me to do cakes so I thought that I would weigh the pros and cons of being legit. Thanks!

3 replies
Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 4

Christy, in Georgia, it varies by county.

tiaracakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiaracakes Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 4

I dont know much about that but good luck trying to find information concerning home baking in GA.
you should consider getting in touch with www.bringinghomethebaking.com or bringinghomethebakingDOTcom . Quincella C. Geiger has a book out, I bought it eons ago to motivate me into starting my own business.

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 4

I have Quincella's book as well, but unfortunately, if your home county doesn't allow baking from home, your only alternatives are renting a commercial kitchen or starting a storefront. Call your county health department.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%