Freezing Whole Cakes?

Decorating By sullymel13 Updated 5 May 2011 , 6:03pm by GI

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 6

I love freezing my cakes, and have never had a problem, but they are usually individual layers. As I plan for a large topsy turvy cake, I really would like to bake, fill (with BC), carve, and then freeze the whole thing. I have a couple of questions though.

1. is this a good idea?
2. can I cover them with ganache before freezing?
3. How long should I let them thaw before covering in fondant? (with/without ganache?)

Thanks so much!

5 replies
rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 6

Yes and yes to the first two questions. I freeze baked/filled/decorated cakes all the time.

As for thawing, if you are freezing them as indiovidual cakes (not stacked) I usually take them out of freezer and place in refrigerator a full day before I am ready top stack them. When placing in the refrigerator to thaw, be sure to leave them in the original wrappings that you used to freeze them.

If you are going to freeze a whole cake that is already stacked, I would refrigerate to that a day and a 1/2 before delivery. For example, if I need to deliver Saturday, I would put cake in fridge to thaw no later than Thursday around noon. The larger/more tiers the cake, the longer I would allow to thaw.

Hope this helps!
Rhonda

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 6

Hi Rhonda,
Just as you suggested, I have read several places that when thawing, you should leave cake wrapped. What is the reason for that ? It always seems to be pointed out, but i would like to know what harm would it be if i removed saran while thawing...because i was thinking it would keep the buttercream neat and smooth if removed at that point.

thanks for your advice,
g

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Rhonda! My plan was to freeze them filled, carved, and covered with ganache, let them thaw overnight Tuesday (out of frige), cover them with fondant and decorate Wednesday, stack and finish decorating Thursday, and deliver for a Friday evening wedding. Do you think that will work? Will my ganache hold up?

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 6

While you can certainly thaw out of fridge, I would recommend in the fridge to eliminate condensation, especially since they are covered in ganache.

Rhonda

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

Question on this again....I have a torted/filled/10" chocolate that is crumbcoated. Wrapped in freezer paper, saran wrap, tin foil. Also have an 8" torted/filled orange that is crumbcoated, wrapped, etc. both in deep freeze. I intend to thaw in fridge today (Thursday) before finishing icing & GP decorations for Saturday stacking (a 6" will go on top.)

I was hesitant to use SPS in the freezer, since wasn't sure if the temp change would make it "brittle" and as these are heavy, dense cakes, didn't wish to take a chance.

Has anyone used SPS to totally stack a 10"/8" cakes and then froze in deep freeze solid, then thawed? If they did, was the cake still structurally sound?

This is my first SPS big...for me...stacked cake for delivery and setup, didn't wish to have anything go wrong. Thank you for your help!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%