How Much To Make For 125 People

Lounge By Kaybaby Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm by cakelover25

Kaybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaybaby Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 4:29am
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone,

My teenage daughters orchestra will behaving their banquet in a couple of months and I volunteered to make the desserts.

I plan on setting up a dessert table. I've chosen to go with desserts that I am familiar with and comfortable making. There should be approx. 125 high schoolers. Dinner is catered by the restaurant and mine will be the only dessert.

So far I will be making the following:

cupcakes
chocolate covered pretzels
chocolate covered strawberries
chocolate covered Oreos
meringue cookies
2" square cookies
large bowl of Hersheys kisses
blow pops (sounds weird but I dress them up and put them in a display container)
Sixlets in a cute pouch/bag thing

I may add other items. I'm not sure yet.

School colors are black and purple. I plan on keeping everything along those colors.

My question is: How much do I make? I sure don't want to over bake, but my biggest fear is not having enough.

What do you all think?

Thanks so much,

Vonda

8 replies
ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 2:24am
post #2 of 9

cupcakes - 1 for each person
chocolate covered pretzels - 2 for each person
chocolate covered strawberries - 1 for each person
chocolate covered Oreos - 2 for each person
meringue cookies - 2 for each person
2" square cookies - 2 for each person
large bowl of Hersheys kisses - 2 for each person
blow pops (sounds weird but I dress them up and put them in a display container) - 1 for each person
Sixlets in a cute pouch/bag thing - 1 for each person

(that's what I would do...hth!)

Kaybaby Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 5:00am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for responding. That's a lot more than I thought I would need.

Vonda

Kaybaby Posted 10 Feb 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9

I will also be making mousse in Chocolate, Strawberry, and Vanilla. They will be in mini chocolate dessert cups.

Vonda

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 3:07am
post #5 of 9

Christy, with all due respect, even high schoolers aren't going to eat ten pieces of dessert items after a big dinner.

When providing dessert with a big dinner, the rule of thumb I went by was 2-4 pcs per person, depending on what the selections were. that means for 125 people, I might do 375 pcs (3 pcs each person) total. How I divided that up depends on what I make. Using your menu as an example, with 9 different items, that means you'd make an average (!) of 42 items each.

For example, choc covered pretzels. If they are the big pretzel rods, then I make one each. If they are the mini pretzel twists, I'll make more each because they may take a small hand-grab of these.

Choc covered strawberries are pricey and I'd go with 1 each, BUT ...... ! I'd alert the banquet committee of this and let them know there will be one each, so if they want more, they need to let you know now (".... and here's the charge for those extra ones.") You can decrease the cost of choc covered fruit by also doing choc covered cherries (link in the other post that you're in on this subj).

Seriously, if they are having a big dinner, I'd reduce the number of items from 9 to 4 or 5. People would rather have plenty of fewer items, than not enough of a lot of items. (The people who get in line at the dessert table FIRST are the only ones who will have access to EVERYTHING. After the first 42 people, using the numbers above as an example, then you start hearing "Oh crap! I really wanted one of those!" No matter how much is left on the table, they will complain about "running out" of dessert. The fact that there were plenty of items on the table is irrelevant if the person in line doesn't get a strawberrY!)

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

even high schoolers aren't going to eat ten pieces of dessert items after a big dinner.

Haha! You are right Debi...I am just so used to fixing for football players and wrestlers that I forget all kids aren't human garbage disposals! Lol! icon_lol.gif

Kaybaby Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

Christy, with all due respect, even high schoolers aren't going to eat ten pieces of dessert items after a big dinner.

When providing dessert with a big dinner, the rule of thumb I went by was 2-4 pcs per person, depending on what the selections were. that means for 125 people, I might do 375 pcs (3 pcs each person) total. How I divided that up depends on what I make. Using your menu as an example, with 9 different items, that means you'd make an average (!) of 42 items each.

For example, choc covered pretzels. If they are the big pretzel rods, then I make one each. If they are the mini pretzel twists, I'll make more each because they may take a small hand-grab of these.

Choc covered strawberries are pricey and I'd go with 1 each, BUT ...... ! I'd alert the banquet committee of this and let them know there will be one each, so if they want more, they need to let you know now (".... and here's the charge for those extra ones.") You can decrease the cost of choc covered fruit by also doing choc covered cherries (link in the other post that you're in on this subj).

Seriously, if they are having a big dinner, I'd reduce the number of items from 9 to 4 or 5. People would rather have plenty of fewer items, than not enough of a lot of items. (The people who get in line at the dessert table FIRST are the only ones who will have access to EVERYTHING. After the first 42 people, using the numbers above as an example, then you start hearing "Oh crap! I really wanted one of those!" No matter how much is left on the table, they will complain about "running out" of dessert. The fact that there were plenty of items on the table is irrelevant if the person in line doesn't get a strawberrY!)

Thank you so much for the voice of experience. I will take your advice and cut down on the number of items and increase the amounts of what I do make.

Vonda

Kaybaby Posted 11 Feb 2011 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChRiStY_71

Quote:

even high schoolers aren't going to eat ten pieces of dessert items after a big dinner.

Haha! You are right Debi...I am just so used to fixing for football players and wrestlers that I forget all kids aren't human garbage disposals! Lol! icon_lol.gif

You are funny,

Vonda

cakelover25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover25 Posted 13 Feb 2011 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 9

indydebi wrote:

Haha! You are right Debi...I am just so used to fixing for football players and wrestlers that I forget all kids aren't human garbage disposals! Lol

Christy, I hear you on the human garbage disposals! I'm used to cooking for the cross country team, you should see how much lasagne and pasta they can put away and still have room for sweet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%