50 Cents A Serving Desserts?

Lounge By Pebbles1727 Updated 13 Feb 2011 , 4:46pm by AnnieCahill

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 42

Any of you have any ideas for 50 cent/serving desserts? That includes ingredients only, not my time, electricity, etc. Please don't say twinkies icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks in advance, P

41 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 42

Don't know about anyone else but I can't make ANY dessert for 50 cents.....

VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 42

A cup of ice chips with a flavored syrup is all I can think of.
sorry

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 42

oh come on.... i'm sure someone can come up with something icon_biggrin.gif It's more of sample size too, like 2x2 or so, not 4 inch in height

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 42

Whoopie pies? You can make them small.

Alfajores (Two rounds of cake with dulce de leche in the middle)?

Madeleines?

I don't sell anything, so I'm not sure if these are good solutions.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 42

rice krispie squares drizzled with chocolate?

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 42

mini CCC? lol

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 42

A PICTURE of a dessert. A black and white picture at that, cause the color ink will be more than 50 cents.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:50pm
post #9 of 42

Mini cherry pies. I made some a few weeks ago for a bake sale. I used the Wiliams Sonoma pie mold, so they were bigger, but we added the cost of supplies, and they were only about 60 cents each. I just used the Pillbury pre made pie crust and can cherry pie filling. If you make them in mini cupcake pans, they probably would cost a lot less.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 42

Sing it with me, J-E-L-L-O!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 42

Cake pops?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:53pm
post #12 of 42

Does your dessert need to be cake related, or are you just looking to serve something sweet for a group?

You could make brownies, or any kind of bar dessert really. You could also do a sheet cake, just one layer (2 inches); that shouldn't be too expensive.

Pebbles1727 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 11:59pm
post #13 of 42

I'm glad you are getting a crack out of it. icon_biggrin.gif It does not have to be a cake per se, cookies, bars, mousses, truffles, etc. Anything sweet, that I can make look cute will go

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:00am
post #14 of 42

Maybe a trifle-type dessert. Layer chocolate pudding, cherry pie filling, chocolate cookie crumbs, whipped cream/cool whip. I don't know how expensive that would be though, but it is tasty.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:09am
post #15 of 42

A bag of M & Ms...wait, that may be more than .50 a serving.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:13am
post #16 of 42

How much are HoHo's going for these days?

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:15am
post #17 of 42

LOL

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:53am
post #18 of 42

Ok, I'll try.....

Mini cupcakes, made from cake mixes bought on sale for .99, topped with a little dollop of your cheapest icing.

Small sized cookies.

Brownie or blondie bites--no nuts and just a bit of icing.

Slices of banana bread baked in mini loaf pans.

Mini pumpkin muffins.

Small servings of pudding or custard.

I guess the trick is to keep the serving size rather small and skip expensive extras like nuts, chocolate chips, and high-end icings. Good luck!!

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 12:57am
post #19 of 42

You said you are not counting your time, electricity, etc... so actually many desserts can be made for 50 cents a serving. It's our time that drive s the price up.

Pebbles1727 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:18am
post #20 of 42

that's what I was thinking too tryingcake, but for some reason most responders think it's impossible. I appreaciate everyone else's suggestions. I'm trying to price some little pies now, maybe even using prepackaged graham cracker mini pies and filling them up with something... mini cupcakes are probably going to be a little too small, I need something in between that and regular size cupcakes.

Pebbles1727 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:26am
post #21 of 42

maybe small lava cakes? anyone got a really good recipe?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:31am
post #22 of 42

You know, anything with an Oreo will be popular. Lately I've been bringing chocolate dipped Oreos to different functions and everyone flips out over them, and tell me how wonderful they are. I just laugh and tell them they can easily do the same. To save money ,you could always use almond bark and the store brand cookies. A lot of times I just dip half the cookie, then put a few sprinkles.

I just saw a great recipe online yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting an opportunity to make it. It uses one pack of Oreos and one box of brownie mix, so it should be easy to price that out.
http://picky-palate.com/2010/12/06/brownie-covered-oreos/

Pebbles1727 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:37am
post #23 of 42

oh those look good, I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies stuffed with oreos too, they should not be that expensive either! Thanks, that's an awesome idea!!! Keep these creative ones coming. I need to come up with quite a few in that price range. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarandstuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandstuff Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 1:39am
post #24 of 42

Chocolate covered pretzels - the chocolate goes a long way and you can get a lot of pretzels - top them with inexpensive toppings - e.g. sprinkles, colored candy chocolate drizzle, toasted coconut, crushed peanuts, etc.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:01am
post #25 of 42

oh sorry i missed that part! MY cake pops cost me $0.25 each

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:25am
post #26 of 42

When I make choco covered Oreos, I use the off brand cookies. By the time you dip them in chocolate, you honestly cannot tell the difference.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:30am
post #27 of 42

That website with the brownie covered Oreos has a lot of other interesting recipes.
http://picky-palate.com/recipe-index/

You could do sweet and salty popcorn. Do you have a Whirley Pop popcorn maker? (it's a hand crank pot) you can make sweet and salty popcorn. Basically just put popcorn, oil, sugar, some food coloring. It's like kettle corn, super easy, inexpensive, and everyone loves it. That's another thing I like to bring to bake sales and parties. For bake sales I pack the popcorn in baggies, for a party just bring in a big bowl. We like to color it to make it more fun.
There are lots of other popcorn recipes here, many of them you can make without the Whirley Pop.
http://www.wabashvalleyfarms.com/cookbook/

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:03am
post #28 of 42

I often make mini brownies using a mini cupcake pan. I put a dollop of cream cheese frosting and a fresh raspberries on top, they look beautiful and are delish.

I also make my soft sugar cookies in sample size and put a dollop of different colored buttercream on top that matches the season. Sometimes I add almond flavoring to the cookie for variety.

Put either of these, or both on some display plates and you're all set.

Pebbles1727 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:18am
post #29 of 42

sounds wonderful! I have brownie covered oreos in the oven right now. When I read that to my hubby, he HAD to try them, even ran to the store for oreos, LOL

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:20am
post #30 of 42

Brownies, cream puffs, mini pies, and no bake cookies. I love me some no bakes!

But yes, the mini pie idea is good. Get a box of Dream Whip and make up a big batch of Dream Pie filling (recipe on the box) with milk and Jell-O pudding (coconut is awesome). It's cheap and easy!

Edited to add: Meringues! They are so pretty and tasty. You don't need much to make them either. You can also add chocolate chips and stuff to them, and advertise them as low fat (well since it's just the whites). icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%