Glass Look

Decorating By yummy Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 3:54am by cr8zchpr

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making fon/gum nail polish and lip gloss; how do I give it the look that it's in glass like the real thing?

8 replies
sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 9

Wish I could help but thats a hard on .... Good Luck!

Sweet_Toof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Toof Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 2:50am
post #3 of 9

I would try wetting it with water...
but I have once tried some sort of glaze once that I used on some gumpaste rose leaves but I'm sorry I don't remember the name. If you go to a cake supplier they should definitely have something they can sell you.

Anne1017 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne1017 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:11am
post #4 of 9

I would definately not wet it, it will begin to melt into an un-saveable mess. Been there, cussed that! If you want it to look "shiny" you can steam the fondant I have even used my regular iron on steam setting. The thing you need to know about steaming is that it does not stay shiny for longer than a couple of hours. Another option for the "shiny" look is using a food laquer but it is hard to find if you do not have an actual cake supply store. It is not available in any craft stores I have been to. If you have some time to order something online check out chefrubber.com they are based here in Las Vegas so I'm lucky enough to shop there but the do have a lot of stuff available online.
If you are trying to make the bottle look like glass, I'm not 100% sure I'm making a glass coke bottle starting tomorrow. I'm planning on air brushing a greenish blue color for the bottle above the liquid and possibly some white accent, so I'll let you know if I'm sucessful (cross your fingers). Hope this helps!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:40am
post #5 of 9

Thanks everyone!

Anne1017, I'll keep them cross and "ill be waiting for the results.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9

You can mix 1 part vodka (mod edited) with 1 part clear corn syrup. Paint it on with a brush. It will look just like a shiny glass bottle and it won't be sticky. Just be sure you do not have any shortening on your fondant because it will bead up. So easy and no mess.

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:41am
post #7 of 9

Try some cooking spray or veg oil. It gives it a glossy look. HTH!

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:48am
post #8 of 9

OMG! I did not mean to say 1 part water. I meant to say 1 part VODKA with 1 part corn syrup! Please disregard the previous I posted, I'm just tired.

1 part VODKA + 1 part clear corn syrup = awesome glassy shine.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 3:54am
post #9 of 9

I used pipping gel diluted a bit with vodka on my purse cake to give it the patent leather look, dries glossy and stays glossy... HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%