Fondant Problems

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 9 Feb 2011 , 6:36pm by horsey1

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 10

It's been a while! But here I am, back making another cake. icon_smile.gif This one for my daughters V-Day party. She has Spongebob valentines and requested I put him on her cake so I am going to. However, I'm back to the problem of my fondant. It's sticky. And if I add sugar, it gets too stiff and won't work well. What am I doing wrong? Should I be using something other than MMF for figurines? I use that because it tastes good. I don't mind doing the cake covered in it and doing flat pieces in it but for these 3D images, it's impossible! Help!

9 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 10

MMF for me is a pain the arss to use for molding any shapes. Yes it gets super sticky. I live in FL so everything is sticky but esp MMF. Not sure how big the figures are going to be but for small figures I love to make and use modeling chocolate. For larger try store bought fondant like Fondx, satin ice etc. Just my personal experience w MMF, maybe someone has a different idea icon_smile.gif

GL

kristiemarie Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! It's good to know I am not the only one who finds MMF gets sticky. I am trying to avoid using the store bought because it tastes icky and I know that the kids love to eat the "candy" on the cake. However, it appears that it may be my only option!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 10

Here are some ideas.
You can mix modeling chocolate with your fondant.

You can mix a small amount of Wilton fondant with your fondant.

You can add some tylose to it.

You can wear food safe gloves.

You can keep a spoon with crisco near your work area and rub in a tiny amount into your hands as soon as you feel the stickiness starting.[/b]

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 10

Oh, and don't worry, if you decide to go with using all Wilton fondant, the kids will still love eating it! (I don't know, maybe it starts to taste better as it hardens up. The fondant on the cake never really hardens like figures do because it has buttercream underneath it which keeps it soft.)

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 10

I agree about the taste of say wilton but if you can get your hands on Duff or satin ice those are ok. I also add gumtex to my figures to help them mold easier and dry harder if I want them to be keepsakes. I always wear gloves and use crisco but mmf is so sticky it actually starts to break down the more I mix color, mold, etc. Drives me insane!! I actually stopped covering my cakes in MMF bc in FL it is just such a sticky humid mess!! I buy satin ice now.

GL and post pics when you're done icon_smile.gif

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 10

I use MMF for figures and it does get sticky for me sometimes but I keep Crisco close by and just rub it on my hands every so often... It doesn't cause a problem for me so if you don't want to use any other fondant try greasing up with Crisco.

kristiemarie Posted 8 Feb 2011 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks all! I went out and got some GUm Tex...that's the same as tylose, right?? I hope...

I use crisco and powered sugar like it's going out of style right now and I'd like to be able to have something a little more user friendly. icon_smile.gif

kristiemarie Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, I got some Gum Tex and I can't believe how different the MMF is behaving! I think I could have used a bit more but it was so much nicer!!!!

horsey1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
horsey1 Posted 9 Feb 2011 , 6:36pm
post #10 of 10

I am having the opposite problem. I can make figures out of the mmf, but can't for the life of me roll it and use it as a sheet of any sort. This is the first time I have made it, but I am beginning to wonder if using store bought is a better plan. Any ideas on why it keeps crumbling and cracking as I roll? I added more shortening, that didn't do it. I added water, that made it sticky, I added cornstarch, which I know it didn't need, but figured everything else failed, so I might as well try, but still no luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%